PDA

View Full Version : Quieting Flow and How Does a Durso work?

asonitez
12/12/2007, 10:09 AM
Well its not really 1 million but I AM a bit frustrated to say the least.

#1 - Durso Stand Pipe: How high should the stand pipe be in the tank? What water level should the tank be at for a 90 gallon AGA with a built in over flow? What does moving the pipe extension up and down do?

Problem: I seem to have gotten the hang of adjusting the pipe to keep a consistent flow. At first it was Making a Sucking type sound in which it would kinda SURGE and push down a lot of water change the water level and then SURGE again. I Kept Raising the pipe higher and higher until it stopped but kept a constant flow. Is this what I'm supposed to do? How Low should it be?

#2 - Overflow.... /Sigh.. - I have a 1 inch bulkhead with a barb pretty much built in. It comes stock with AGA overflow kit and takes a 1 and 1/4" vinyl Flex Tube fitting. It works GREAT! BUT.. I thought it was too long and would prevent the water from getting down into the sump. So..

Problem: I CUT the vinyl flexy hose thingy and made it shorter so that it can just barely almost touch the bottom of my sump when its fully extended. The result is a near 100% Vertical drop from my tank into my sump. The issue is that it sounds like a FRICKIN WATERFALL! bubbling up and the force the water is coming through with is unbeliveable but it sounds LOUD... its not SPLASHING into the existing water its IN The water but would bubble profusely. I have no idea what to do to dampen the sound. I think by Cutting the Vinyl Hose I lost valueable time that the water has to SLOW DOWN before going into the sump... I don't know if this is correct however :(

#3 - The Sump is LEAKING!!!! A lesson in testing your equip before you put it in.

I now have a 90 Gallon tank Filled with Ro/di (No Salt Yet) and a Sump that cannot be removed from the front............. The good thing is I think I know WHERE the leak is coming from. Its coming from a bulkhead that I used to stop the tank with but didnt GLUE in. I just pressure fit/jammed it in. HOWEVEr.... This is on one of the SIDE walls of the sump..

I noticed water running along the BASE of the sump (a LITTLE BIT) this could have come from the slow drop from the bulkhead but I'm not sure. Also at the top edge of the trim on the oceanic model 2 sump is water as well. When i Push on it I get a bit of water coming out....

I plan to drain the sump using a powerhead. Remove the skimmer and other pumps from it and Rotate it inside of the stand to apply Silicone to the botton top of the trim around the entire tank. I hope this stops the leaking. I also plan to silicone around the bulkhead thats leaking and see if that stops that.. OR hell I might just PVC Cement it on. I dunno... I'm pretty bummed.... I wanted my sand and Live rock in there by this weekend. I was supposed to add the salt list night and let it get mixed a Bit.

Agu
12/12/2007, 12:01 PM
1) Do you have an air vent in the Durso ? If not you're basically running a surge down to your sump. If you have an air vent make sure it isn't plugged. Or you can enlarge it, add some airline, and regulate the air with an airline valve. I find a foot of airline tubing in the vent also helps quiet the durso. Height of the standpipe in the overflow doesn't affect standpipe noise. It affects the noise created by water going over the weir, less drop = less noise.

2) Fix #1 first

3) Which side of the bulkhead is your gasket on ? Did you hand tighten it or use a wrench. Often the gasket gets distorted if the bulkhead is overtightened. You shouldn't need to silicone a properly installed bulkhead.

kielty
12/12/2007, 12:48 PM
you can get a new section of 1 1/4" line from Home Depot/Lowes
for about $20 bucks. I am setting up a 110 AGA this week and just
bought a 4' piece that I will bend into the sump to even out the outflow a bit.