PDA

View Full Version : 2 peppermint shrimp gone missing, who is the suspect?

nathenvan
12/12/2007, 09:20 AM
like the title says I have 2 peppermint shrimp that I added and never see seen. The following list are all the fishes that I have in my tank. to the best of your knowledge, which fish might have made the 2 shrimps a nice thanksgiving feast. thanks

2 percula clowns
pseudoromis
cornis yellow wrasses ( not sure if it really reef safe)
yellow tank
yellow tail damsel
six line wrasses
fire fish

stingythingy45
12/12/2007, 09:24 AM
How do you know something ate them?
I added 2 a couple weeks ago and din't see them for a week and then low and behold I spotted one the other night.
And I have a very large CBS in my tank.

Sk8r
12/12/2007, 09:38 AM
Possible culprits, at least in scaring them into hiding, if not eating them: anything in your tank but the firefish.

reggiepe
12/12/2007, 10:08 AM
I just put two in my tank last week. After the third day of not seeing them I went on a midnight mission to find them. They were safely under the rocks doing their little sway to and fro dance. When they get braver, I assume that I will be seeing more of them.

Tiduch
12/12/2007, 10:41 AM
I added 10 to my tank 3 weeks ago and never see them unless I use flash light when all the light are off.

huskyrider
12/12/2007, 10:56 AM
when they start picking on coral you'll wish they were still hiding

george1098
12/12/2007, 11:13 AM
yea they disapear like crazy. search the tank abotu 2 hrs after the lights go out with a red flashlight

Agu
12/12/2007, 11:51 AM
Pseudochromis are known shrimp eaters. They'll attack shrimp twice their size.

bkoz
12/12/2007, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11368989#post11368989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Pseudochromis are known shrimp eaters. They'll attack shrimp twice their size.

Yup I added 2 peppermint shrimp to my tank and watched my Pseudo grub them both within minutes. When I upgrade after xmas that little dudes outa there, as much as I do like him.

adambaron
12/12/2007, 12:30 PM
At one point mine dissapeared for like a month whithout me seeing him. I was convinced he was dead untill one day he comes strolling out.

DaveG99
12/12/2007, 12:32 PM
I added three saturday and one died the next day. The other two are missing.

sabazerehi
12/12/2007, 04:04 PM
i added one to a tank of mine to take care of aiptasia and there are no other inhabitants in the tank. still won't come out. i was also convinced it died right after i put it in, until i looked behind some rocks three weeks later and saw him doing the dance thing. i'd say they're probably in there, looked behind some rocks.

bkoz
12/12/2007, 08:37 PM
Funny thing is I had 2 peppermints in the DT and 1 in the sump, never saw them EVER. I noticed aptacia starting to come back (after I put the pseudo in the tank) a bit and thought maybe the peppermints died so I got a couple more. Thats when I saw him with one of them in his mouth and realized why my shrimp were gone and my aptacia was coming back. They may be hiding but with that pseudo in there???

nathenvan
12/12/2007, 09:02 PM
yeah pseudochromis are aggressive son of a &*^%. after xmas mine is outa there too. :-)

demonsp
12/12/2007, 09:05 PM
Any stars?

poppin_fresh
12/12/2007, 09:05 PM
my sixline ate my peppermints.

JoeMomma
12/13/2007, 09:25 AM
My Carribean peppermints are out the minute I feed and fight my cleaner shrimp for food. Might depend on where they come from.

deucetowe
12/13/2007, 10:31 AM
I added 2 peppermint shrimp about 4 months ago. They always came out when they were fed, then all I saw was one for about a month. I have a overflow box with a screen that leads down to my skimmer/fuge(return area)/fuge. About 1 month later, I was checking on my chaeto and there he was in the fuge. I have no idea how he go there. I used some food in a glass to lure him in and got him back in the main display. Checked the screen in my overflow, and everything was good for another month. He's now disappeared again... I've tried the skimmer area, the return area, the fuge and midnight search in the main display with no luck. Hopefully he's still around.

As far as livestock, I've got a cleaner shrimp, a sail fin tang, and 1 peppermint shrimp other than my little Houdini... in a 75 gallon, 18 month old tank.

My gut tells me that he tried to "hope the fence" into the overflow to get back down in the fuge, but lost his balance and found the floor.... where my dogs and cat keep a watchful eye on things...