PDA

View Full Version : blue tang sick

salty duck
12/12/2007, 09:15 AM
Hi guys.
I recently payed a local shop for a powder blue tang and had them hold her for me until she was ready to come home, as she had just arrived in store. I went back today and she looks grey and is laying around with white spot. The member of staff i spoke with told me the marine manager would ring me tomorrow. I guess i'll just ask for my money back. Is this normal? would her colour return in time? I'm dissapointed and concerned for her. She is supposed to be a christmas present from my wife.
THANKS
:(

Blown 346
12/12/2007, 09:18 AM
If the store just opened and the lights were just turned on the fish could have lost the color from this which is normal. The white spot might not be.

chrisalmand
12/12/2007, 09:43 AM
You are the reason most fish stores don't hold fish for anyone. If you ask for it and tell them to hold it; you bought it.

-Chris

salty duck
12/12/2007, 10:05 AM
I didnt tell them to hold it. They told me they would as it had just come in. The fish was not in the same condition today as when i payed for it which means the bad condition is not down to me but them, i would have thought. I am not the reason for anything.

Blown 346
12/12/2007, 10:08 AM
Holding and purchasing are two different things. He bought the fish but was told to wait. I dont believe its a reason for LFS to not hold fish for people, the reason for them to not hold them is becasue they want to make a for sure sale. No need for the rude comments.

adambaron
12/12/2007, 10:12 AM
If the fish is sick you shouldn't take it. Was it early like mentioned above? Have you had experiance with the store before?

salty duck
12/12/2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the response guys.
It was 12.30 when i saw her today and she was on her side. They open at 9.00 and the lights go on about then. She was in the tank with a large wrasse, atleast twice her length and she is about 6 inches herself

adambaron
12/12/2007, 12:03 PM
I'd check back on her again see how she's doing. Maybe she was just stressed or something and is better now. If she is still sick though I wouldn't take her. If she looked good the first time you saw her then got bad so quick it makes me wonder if something happened like they didn't acclimate her properly or something. Let us know what happens.

dcombs44
12/12/2007, 12:07 PM
Powder Blues are very prone to ich and are stressed easily. They needs a huge tank to thrive because they are so active. If the fish is lying on it's side breathing irregularly, I wouldn't consider taking it home in a million years. I would want to see the fish swimming regularly, eating, with decent color, and NO WHITE SPOTS, before I ever considered taking it home. If no, I'd ask for my money back or for the store to replace my fish with a healthy specimen.

usmc121581
12/12/2007, 01:08 PM
I would not take it as metioned above. I have even bought healthy specimens and both died within a week. I will never buy something that nice looking again as they are fragile.

salty duck
12/12/2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks. She was the best looking powder blue i have seen. Very well coloured. They were happy to take my money a week ago. They said they would call me when i could collect her-they havent yet though, i just stopped by to get some food and RO when i saw her in distress.

salty duck
12/14/2007, 06:56 PM
Checked on her today. Her colour is coming back and there is no visable white spot. She has been moved to another tank away from the wrasse which after seeing again is probably 4 times her size and looks very menacing(the teeth look huge!). I said i would check back in on sunday. In all honesty the store has been pretty good about it and said that if she was not right they would not let her go. What do you guys think? I value your opinions.

adambaron
12/14/2007, 07:21 PM
Keep an eye on her and as long as she does look healthy and is eating and does not have ick its probably all good. Sounds like you lfs is pretty good and doesn't want to sell you an unhealthy fish.

salty duck
12/14/2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks adambaron. I want to hang in on her, shes a lovely fish, The only other tang i have is a chevron that seems to be in love with my foxface. I'M sure she'd be happier in my tank which is so much bigger than the one shes in now. I'll check on her on sunday and see whats going on. She seems like a strong girl anyway. I'm not tring to mess around with the lfs as an earlier poster insinuated, i just want the healthy fish i bought-not just for her but for my other fish