PDA

View Full Version : Aqua C Remora PRO users

masonicman
12/12/2007, 08:16 AM
Aqua C Remora PRO users. I am just trying to find out what is the best position for the collection cup in order to get best beneficial skim mate removal. (collection cup high wise) Right now I have mine at half way.

Garrett_F
12/12/2007, 11:01 AM
What pump are you using? I have a MJ1200 for the time being and i have it at the bottom. You could try it there and see what you are getting and adjust til it's the type of skim you want.

george1098
12/12/2007, 11:15 AM
I sell allot of these and I alwais advise folks to put them pretty low so they skim wet. you will have to change and clean it more often, but you will get better performance from the skimmer.

Rick2203
12/12/2007, 03:27 PM
a maxi1200 on a remora pro is not enough its going to take forever for you to get some skimate, i think the remora's are way too expensive for what they do. they are not that great.

Rick2203
12/12/2007, 03:44 PM
a maxi1200 on a remora pro is not enough its going to take forever for you to get some skimate, i think the remora's are way too expensive for what they do. they are not that great.

fantastic4
12/12/2007, 04:19 PM
I have the Remora Pro with a Mag5 or Mag4 (Can't recall, the one that ships as an option).

My Tips:
About half way for general skimming.
Will skim better if cup is almost all the way down, you get a wet skim, but the stuff is full of crap.
These skimmers take time to eliminate bubbles leading back into tank and to get good skim.
As your skimmer seasons, be prepared to adjust cup.
If you want super skimming now, just add a little bit of any fish coat medication.
I have a new pro with drain on the side, I just let it do it's thing and it acts like a water exchange unit, the drain leads to a 5g bucket.
Tried the Reg Remora with Maxi1200, did not pull anything out of the 90g, however, the reg worked really well in my 33g cube.
I like em. If you go with a Mag, the pump will heat your tank so watch temp and make heater adjustments.

Voxboy
12/12/2007, 05:38 PM
Interesting. I have a Pro with Mag 3 pump. I have mine as high as it will go. My skimate is fairly wet. It looks like dark tea. I have to empty my cup every day.....not that is full but it is almost halfway. Mine has been up and running for 2 weeks now. If I put my cup any lower I would have to empty it every 6 hours or so. There is no way I could set my cup very low. I do use the skimmer box as well......not sure if that makes a difference.

Davidb6
12/12/2007, 08:29 PM
Got the Pro, added the pre-skimmer box and upgraded to the Mag3. Works great. I move the band on the cup up and down based on how dark the collection is. Just balance the need to empty with the skimming quality.

Davidb6
12/12/2007, 08:31 PM
FYI - the skimmer box is a very good addition. I makes sure you pull the water from the top where the junk is. Also, it has a pad in the bottom of the box to eliminate micro bubbles.

Voxboy
12/12/2007, 08:48 PM
Make sure you clean the pad at least once a week.

masonicman
12/12/2007, 08:51 PM
The new pro with drain on the side is a good deal.

MyTankIsBest
12/13/2007, 01:07 PM
The Remora pro stinks - it is not a good deal - take it back and exchange it for something useful.

Joe
12/13/2007, 01:24 PM
I've had my Remora Pro with the Mag 3 upgrade and the skimmer box on my 29 gallon for four years..... This skimmer is not worth $ 100.00, let alone the $329.00 I paid for it at the time!:(

Joe

J. Montgomery
12/13/2007, 01:37 PM
I've got the Remora Pro w/ Rio 1400 and the preskimmer box. I've been using it for over a year and I'll reiterate the sentiment that it s*cks. It's essentially a $250 water aerator. It's definitely the worst purchasing decision I've made since I started reefin'.

badpvtdan
12/13/2007, 01:45 PM
I had the regular Remora with pre-skimmer box and I could never get it to skim anything no matter what I tried. I know that's a little off-topic, sorry.

Voxboy
12/13/2007, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11376890#post11376890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MyTankIsBest
The Remora pro stinks - it is not a good deal - take it back and exchange it for something useful.

I see a lot of this type of post. I am actually surprised this thread went this long before the Remora Police chimmed in. Fact of the matter is........... I don't disagree. I believe that there are many many bad experiences with this skimmer. Mine skims 24/7 super dark tea with tons of gooey crap. I have to empty my cup every day.......no B.S. And I don't know why this is. On the Remora website they even show a picture of the skimate which is about 1/4 t 1/3 of the cup and brag that it is two weeks worth. Mine is twice as dark and twice as much every day since I have had it...so I don't get it...maybe quality control? I read a post on RC some time ago where someone said that because they are handmade sometimes the injectors are placed in different areas of the inlet tube which can affect skimming...who knows