PDA

View Full Version : what to put next to a Xenia?

douglam
12/11/2007, 10:34 PM
im trying to figure out what to put next to my xenia.. Maybe zoas or ricordias. will they irritate the xenia if it come it contact with them?

demonsp
12/11/2007, 11:13 PM
You need to give the xenia room. They will outgrow and overgrow most coral. I would remove , or isolate the xenia to a lone rock. I got mine to grow on the back glass and is alot easier to trim back.
After time all coral need trimming and fraging to keeping this in mind helps with palcement. But xenia are fast growing coral.

douglam
12/11/2007, 11:25 PM
can xenia come in contact with zoas or ricordea or will they be stung to death

kmjoen230
12/11/2007, 11:26 PM
What i did= I put them under and to the right of my frogspawn, it is keeping it in check right now!
The issue with Xenia, it seems to grow like a weed!
I put it the middle and within 1 week it was on the move!
Most corals will be over run, but my frogspawn stung it and turned it around!

demonsp
12/11/2007, 11:31 PM
All coral have a defense.Some better then others.Its best to just give all coral room and research coral fraggin. www.youtube.com has a few videos on this.

zotzer
12/11/2007, 11:49 PM
I have a small furry red pavona keeping my pulsing xenia in check. It's at the end of a rock, and even if it gets past the pavona, has no where else to go.

It's actually kind of fun to watch. The pavona has grown some extra long "hairs" near the xenia that it uses to whip it back where it encroaches.

Tracy

dustybuddy
12/11/2007, 11:58 PM
give ALL of your corals room. maybe compositional and artistically, keeping corals close together is better looking and realistic but all your corals need room to grow. with all the different defense mechanisms going on, u dunwant every coral to be stinging, eating, poisoning, or overrunning the corals beside it. i have mushrooms, star polyps and zoos all pushing at each other. and they dont look too healthy cus of it.

MarkusII
12/12/2007, 12:17 AM
Hello,

I have placed an Entacmea quadricolor next to my Xenia by which it is surrounded now. They fit together perfectly and its a beautifull contrast.

regards

Markus

SimilanRocks
12/12/2007, 12:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11366612#post11366612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by douglam
can xenia come in contact with zoas or ricordea or will they be stung to death

xenia will loose to most softy and LPS on contact. I don't think zoa and xenia will fight on contact but zoa won't get enough light and die.

I place xenia next to frogspawn to limit the xenia growth.