PDA

View Full Version : Storing RO/DI in Rubbermaid bin

nanokeeper
12/11/2007, 09:46 PM
I've used the search feature but have not found an answer. I'm wondering if it's a problem to store my RO/DI top off water in one of those cheap 18 gallon rubbermaid containers. I currently a 15 gallon glass tank for my top off water but would like to convert it to a frag tank. I know that RO/DI water can be so clean that it is sometimes referred to as a solvent. Which made me think that since rubbermaids are not "food grade" then they might leach chemicals.

What are the thoughts of the experts?

Thanks for the help!

reefnetworth
12/11/2007, 09:56 PM
Rubbermaid "Brute" 25G trashcan will not leach. thats the only one i know of that has been proven not to. (Reef Chemistry forum)

poppin_fresh
12/11/2007, 10:40 PM
I personally dont trust those rectangular containers because I've had one split! I have a 35 gal Brute can for my RO/DI...very durable. Technically any container carrying the NSF certification shouldn't leach anything (as far as we are told).

nanokeeper
12/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks reefnetworth & poppin_fresh. I'll look into getting one of those. Do you know where the best place to get one of those?

poppin_fresh
12/11/2007, 11:11 PM
Almost any hardware/home improvement store should have them. They're pretty common and only about $25-$30 (they last forever).

siropa
12/11/2007, 11:13 PM
I too use the brute one. I think mine is 44 gals. Pretty sure it says something on the bottom about being food safe even. I've use other garbage can containers over the years with no apparent issues, but there isn't that much cost difference if you are buying a quality container and you might as well go with one that is known safe.

I'd be leery of going too cheap for the splitting reason.