PDA

View Full Version : Dart Pump

topfeeder
12/11/2007, 08:52 PM
I have a Oceans Motions 4-way and the question is for the ones that have this setup, do you hear the Dart pump? Maybe I am asking for too much but if you hear it, the Dart, over the fan, etc. should I relocate the Dart in the basement at the ceiling height as to not put too much head on the pump and keep the noise down... I hate noise.

Kannin
12/11/2007, 09:22 PM
the dart is the quietest pump on the market.

purebullet417
12/11/2007, 09:23 PM
i would have to agree

davocean
12/11/2007, 09:29 PM
Quietest is a little deceiving.
Now my Eheim and Tunze pumps, they're dead silent.
My dart makes a humm, not super loud, and yeah, it moves alot of water, but I think alot of people come on here saying they are quiet, and people like me, expect the same dead silence as other pumps, which is not the case.

redddogg69
12/11/2007, 09:30 PM
The dart pump is not really meant for that much head pressure, i would use something a little stronger like a barracuda or hammerhead or even a sequence 4300 for that kind of head pressure.

topfeeder
12/11/2007, 09:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11365515#post11365515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redddogg69
The dart pump is not really meant for that much head pressure, i would use something a little stronger like a barracuda or hammerhead or even a sequence 4300 for that kind of head pressure.

redddogg69, I understand what you are saying but that would only be less than 2' of head! Picture the Dart on a shelf just under the floor joist. No one has answered the real question, can you hear the Dart over the fans, etc. if it were in the cabinet ??? Again I hate noise....

Lam Ly
12/11/2007, 10:44 PM
I have a dart in my living roon on my 144G and it is noisyover the quiet fan, YES
I too do not like noise but I can't afford the RED DRAGON PUMP dead silent
I remember the old type of quietone pump use to be dead silent
but I don't see it any where anymore.

I am still looking for somthing quieter than the DART.

siropa
12/11/2007, 11:11 PM
I can't hear my dart over the other noises from the tank. If I didn't see it moving water I wouldn't believe it was running.

SDguy
12/12/2007, 09:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11365515#post11365515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redddogg69

If this is on a closed loop, I'm not sure where the head pressure would be coming from. Is it on a CL?

amike5
12/12/2007, 09:50 AM
There is very little head pressure on a closed loop. You can locate the pump on the basement floor with little loss. On the other hand, I have a sequence snapper and find it louder than I expected as well. Reminds me of my boiler pumps.

topfeeder
12/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Yep, It is a closed loop, Oceans Motions 4-way. What amike5 said is what I thought but wanted the feedback. I hate noise. Thanks to all.

JoeMomma
12/13/2007, 09:41 AM
Blueline Velocity pumps are touted to be the quietest on the market. Not sure if they will give you the type of flow you are looking for though.

I tried a hammerhead and barracuda for my return and they are louder than my washing machine...

gabe3d
12/13/2007, 10:24 AM
I hate noise as well and I really cannot hear the pump. Depending on how you plumb and what material you use, the pump will emit different noise/vibration levels. I've replumbed both of my system with the dart around 8-10 times already, I'm the guy that will replumb because a pipe is not straight or even so my annoyance tolerance level is quite low. With my head in the cabinet and 1-2ft away I cannot hear if it is on, even touching it is hard to distinguish it's state. HTH.

mg426
12/13/2007, 11:58 AM
I cant hear my Dart over the lighting fans.

tylorarm
12/13/2007, 12:30 PM
I have two Darts on closed loops and one red dragon. All make some noise. Because I don't have my stand boxed in yet i can hear the pumps, and certainly know when they're on, but very quiet. Right about the Darts are about same with the small hood fans of my 125gl. Once I box in the stand I doubt I'll be able to hear them much if at all. I tried a Tarpon but it was substantially louder, as is the Hammerhead i have for a return. I wouldn't use a hammerhead unless i could do so remotely. Darts pretty good considering the water movement.