PDA

View Full Version : Tunze or Koralia?

01saleen
12/11/2007, 08:10 PM
Just curious of what people are using and why.

Of these two power heads(Tunze, Koralia 4) which do you prefer, and what really is the difference?

The descriptions on both products are the same, the only difference I see is that Tunze has much more of a selection than Koralia.

acrohead500ppm
12/11/2007, 08:22 PM
are you wanting to have this pump on a wavemaker you cant put korilas on a WM. also at the store i work at we have a few korila 4s, the props stick alot on them,
tunze's are very well built/designed german made pumps, that can be put on a controller (model specific)
simply put: korilas in general are not as great as people say
but would be a better choice than a unmodded maxijet's pinpoint flow.
id say if you have a largre tank and you plan on going the sps route a tunze is the way to go.
look at pictures of spectacular tanks in europe/italy most likey you will spot a tunze.
- a cheaper alt. to the tunze would be a seio on thier TAAM controller

poppin_fresh
12/11/2007, 08:23 PM
My vote is Tunze.

I own several Tunze products and have been very happy. I also like the piece of mind I get from having a top notch company rep like Roger (Tunze's US support guy). I know that if I have an issue, it will be dealt with promptly and without hassle.

davocean
12/11/2007, 09:38 PM
Nano 6025's w/ mods (3) love em.
Getting over 1,100 gph on 7 watts each, how can you beat that?
Smaller than koralia as well.
Koralia is still real good, but Tunze for me.

yellowwatchmen
12/11/2007, 09:46 PM
If you want to save money get the korolia. But if you have the money go for the tunze.

jpitts101
12/11/2007, 09:47 PM
I think for a 100 gallon reef a couple of Tunze 6025 mods would be great. I have one 6025 mod on my 180, a seio 1500 and a maxi mod and want to go with all tunze in the near future. Also its a very simple mod, takes 5 minutes. GO TUNZE!!!!!

zacharytrimble
12/11/2007, 10:26 PM
A local lfs showed me a tunze and koralia in identical setups and proved to me that the tunze had slightly more evenly distributed flow...and they are just a bit smaller as well...but for me...overpriced...sorry, I know an electromagnetic motor in a plastic housing isn't worth that much money...but boy...do I want one!
Anyway, I went with the korallia for the price...and it's been doing beautifully...so I guess I'm saying you can't lose either way...but if money isn't an object at this point...try the tunze

cardiffgiant
12/11/2007, 10:48 PM
Where can I find info about modding a 6025?

adtravels
12/11/2007, 10:49 PM
I have a huge issue with the nanostreams and that is that the clips that attactch to the magnet ALWAYS snap off meaning you have th superglue the clips to the magnet, also the clip itself is liable to snap if you pull the pump out forwards.

Also for the money youshould not have to to be supergluing, and modding like crazy to get the most out of the pump, although more bulky the Koralias are better in my opinion, apart from the ceramic impellor shaft, also they can both be run on seio controllers.

poppin_fresh
12/11/2007, 11:08 PM
Yes, Tunze has admitted that there's an issue with some of the Nano Streams clips breaking. The point is that they own up to the issue and will, with out question, replace the whole assembly for no charge. Now thats a company I can respect!

As far as modding, its not necessary, but knowing that 5 minutes of time will get me twice the flow is nice. I'm sure someone will eventually figure out a mod for the Korallia.

AquaReeferMan
12/12/2007, 12:09 AM
Koralia's over here. I dont know I just like them. Im not hating on the Tunze's, they're just not my cup of tea.

jpitts101
12/12/2007, 12:09 AM
Another reason for the mod is its a low flow pump that is at a decent price. People like to spend less and mod the pump and get a higher dollar flow pump for alot less. I bought mine specifically for my nano and ended up not setting it up so i had a small pump that I modded that fits right into my 180.

hybridgenius
12/12/2007, 12:24 AM
I have koralias, but im thinking of switching over to tunze after feeling the flow and how much more distant it reaches yet stay gentle from begining to end. TUNZE would be my choice.

jpitts101
12/12/2007, 12:26 AM
by the way here is the tunze mod, also there is a koralia mod too.
tunze 6025
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025361&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

koralia mod
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1023416

sunfish11
12/12/2007, 12:30 AM
I like Korlias because even if they do break they don't cost much. I can just toss it and get an new one 5 times before I have paid for one Tunze. If I was using a controller than I have to admit I would have to go with something else. The Korlias have a rough start.

demonsp
12/12/2007, 12:38 AM
In anything over a 55 gallon they would work great for spot flow.In some cases flow is more important then light and the adverse affects from lack of flow take months or yrs to show and by then most hobbist never think its from either lack of or to much flow. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

I would get a pump similar to this thats a little overrated for your tank. These have a flow control valve and a duckbill tip that help you control flow and direction. Then if you want a koralia # 2 or #3 for spot flow in low flow areas.

Also these pumps i linked come in handy for water changes. Get a long clear tube that fits in the outlet tip and you can drain and fill from 6 ft away.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4671&pcatid=4671

sunfish11
12/12/2007, 12:44 AM
You are right demonsp. I use them to supplement my closed loop and return flow which is already considerable. I think I would need A LOT of Korlia #4's to do the whole tank.

demonsp
12/12/2007, 12:47 AM
And still have half the control of direction and flow.

sunfish11
12/12/2007, 12:55 AM
Good article BTW demonsp. Very interesting...

tkeracer619
12/12/2007, 11:33 AM
I run the koralias. Modded they are awesome. On an 8ft 360G. I have 8 of them, 4 are modded. I am right under the point of a sandstorm. They work fine as primary flow on a large tank.

IMO my koralias are two fold better then a tunze nano 6045 I have had running for months. The nanos plastic breaks and the pump sometimes starts backwards. Glad It's not mine and that I didn't pay for it...

Can't compare koralias to the controllable stream pumps. For constant flow it is hard to beat a modded koralia. For pulsing flow the Tunze Stream or Vortec is the way to go.

hyperfocal
12/12/2007, 12:07 PM
Both.

I'm using 2 Koralia 3s, one midway down on each side pointing towards each other across the back of the tank AND 2 Tunze Nano 6055s, one on a single controller the other not, blowing diagonally across the tank from each back corner.

The Koralias are great for pure flow at a reasonable price, and the Tunze 6055s are great for providing waveflow via their controllability.

Serioussnaps
12/12/2007, 01:55 PM
My vote is for Tunze as well.

With that said, I believe I am going to sell my set of 6000's and controllers, buy a few korallias and use the rest to go buy a new Tag Heuer I have been eyeing.

Tunze is a great product though with UNREAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. Between Reefgeek and Tunze they have the best CS I have seen in any industry, not just our hobby.

bladeruner143
12/12/2007, 02:01 PM
This is kinda like comparing a Civic vs a Lexus though isn't it? The Koralia's are great at their price range and so are the Tunze. If you have the money go for the "luxury" one, but if not, go for the "affordable" one. You won't be disappointed by either though

hyperfocal
12/12/2007, 05:44 PM
I'm not going to tell someone what they can or can't afford, but the price difference between the Koralia and a Tunze is the price of a couple of nice frags. Hardly Civic vs. Lexus in my mind, but that's just me.

dwd5813
12/12/2007, 06:05 PM
i picked tunze. i went to my lfs to buy koralias and the owner let me check out a 4 in action and a 6025 in action. the flow from the 4 was nice, but a little too biased toward the outer eges if you follow what i mean. the 6025 was a nice, wide, even, powerful yet gentle stream. and tunze customer service is unbeaten anywhere. that made the extra bucks a cost i can live with.

01saleen
12/12/2007, 06:12 PM
Great responses guys, i currently have 2 Koralia 4's, and two seios, but i was considering switching from the seios to Tunze, or all Koralias. From the posts it seems that it really comes down to preference. I will continue it over. Thanks for all the responses..

davocean
12/12/2007, 07:10 PM
Yes, my Tunze brackets did break as well, but they are already sending me the new ones, which are suposed to be better.

tkeracer619
12/12/2007, 07:41 PM
BTW Koralias now have flow deflectors that concentrate the flow in a stream instead of a wide angle. If you mod the koralia you will have to superglue these on or they will fly off.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1539/1000661zj7.jpg