PDA

View Full Version : Aquacultured live rock?

UCBryant
12/11/2007, 06:15 PM
Has anyone ordered from here: http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/index.html

My friends and I are thinking of getting some. Is there anything we should watch out for?

Thakr21
12/11/2007, 07:08 PM
Nope

Agu
12/11/2007, 08:22 PM
TBS rock is terrestrial rock that's seeded in the Gulf. It's more dense than live rock and therefore takes up less space per pound (another reason pounds per gallon is worthless ;) ). Obviously it's also less porous.

TBS rock has a reputation of harboring nuisance crabs and mantis shrimp. Probably more a function of it not being shipped half way around the world wrapped in newspapers and then being transported a couple more times. It's fresher rock and will have more life, some of which you may not want.

TBS rock is an ecologically sound choice imo if that makes a difference.

tanked3333
12/12/2007, 09:59 AM
I just purchased some aquaculture from Dan..He sells on EBAY

occasionally in 100 lb units...was very pleased..Out of the ocean on

Sunday and in my tank on Tuesday..Only one rock had to be seperated

b/c of some sponge dieoff....No other ammonia or nitrite spike.

Of course I picked it up and transported underwater though.

Timbor
12/12/2007, 11:17 AM
I have heard lots of good things about TBS, but I think it will depend on what you want out of your live rock.

If you want live rock that you can just put in your tank and cover it with new corals that you are going to buy, I would not recommend TBS.

I would say TBS is more suited to the aquarist who wants to see lots of variety of life on their live rock, and doesn't mind taking time to remove potential pests (ie crabs and mantis). I would suit it more to someone who is interested in the ecology that can be seen in the ocean.

TBS has a forum here on RC, in the vendor section. There are lots of pics of the rock that was sent to customers in there.

HTH,

Tim

landlord
12/12/2007, 11:58 AM
I have ordered from TBS. It was my first tank, couldn't have been happier. Lots to look at. I did not think the hitchhikers were a big deal. They were pretty interesting to look at.

I have since set up a new tank and wanted to go in a different direction with it so I opted for a different liverock choice.

In any case I was pleased. FWIW --landlord