PDA

View Full Version : Losses from the ice storm... thinking of the future

dismayed
12/11/2007, 02:58 PM
Sadly, I lost most all my fish and coral in the recent ice storm. It just got way too cold for too long and no amount of blankets or anything else on the tank was able to help. I feel sick thinking about it.

So I am trying to turn a negative into a positive, and am thinking about how much fun I had setting up my tank and am trying to plan out my next one now.

Two questions for you reef old timers out there. First, I'd really like to create an authentic reef environment that is custom fit for whatever fish I decide to go with next time... try to recreate its wild setting. Anyone have a suggestion on a good book with lots of pictures that might help me out with this?

Second, I really admire folks tanks that have lots of live rock that have various mushrooms and LPS naturally growing out of / on them. The coral I have seen in stores almost always comes attached to a rock... are you guys cutting it off and fusing it to rocks? What is this process called... any good books or websites I can learn from?

Thanks.

Agu
12/11/2007, 03:17 PM
My condolences :(

"Natural Reef Aquariums" by John Tullock has some biotope setups That's what you're talking about doing, setting up a "biotope" tank.

The natural look comes from maturity and not messing with coral placement. Once they're established they spread on their own based on light and water flow. That piece of rock is still there but it blends in or is covered so that you can't see it.