PDA

View Full Version : refungium and frag holder

masonicman
12/10/2007, 09:10 PM
Do I need to put some kind of food in my fuge for the pod or does it get food from the main tank?

What is a frag holder and its purpose?

zhenjw
12/11/2007, 01:41 AM
I put DT's Phyto in once in a while, always bumps up the population.

masonicman
12/11/2007, 07:56 AM
Anymore responses?

landlord
12/11/2007, 08:34 AM
I have never attempted to supplement pods with anything and they are literally everywhere. My sixline wrasse, whom I have only had for 4 months, is gorged, and he is simply eating the pods in the main display. I am satisfied with the pods simply grazing on the algae in the fuge. I watch them chow down, and they are very numerous.

What is a frag holder? Kind of a vague question. I would say it is something that holds a frag. Where did you hear this term used? Lots of things can fall into that definition.

FWIW --landlord

masonicman
12/11/2007, 09:50 AM
Landlord I just started my fuge on Sunday. It's a 2 1/2 gal HOB. I have about 2 in of llive sand from the main tank, little live rock and a ball of cheato. Light of course. Is it possible that I have pods already in the fuge from the stuff I added? will they multiply?

As far the second question. Let me rephrase. What are frags? I notice in this guys tank. Hhe said he made a frag holder. Take a look to the right of the tank

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1267686

NYIntensity
12/11/2007, 09:56 AM
Get a flashlight with a red lens...wake up after your lights go out (or stay up late) and take a peek...you'll see them then. Also, if you have an overflow box, check in there. A lot of times you'll find the pods there.

landlord
12/11/2007, 09:56 AM
masonicman, It is indeed quite possible that you already have pods in there. You may not see them yet, but I would bet they are there. In time they will get bigger, and be more easily seen. Yes they will probably multiply as well.

Second question. A "frag" is a fragment of coral broken, cut, excised from a larger piece of coral. It would be like breaking of one of your fingers and regrowing another masonicman... The frag holder in the pic is simply a piece of eggcrate and what appears to be several magnetic algae scrapers holding it to the glass. This in turn holds his/her frags.

FWIW --landlord

masonicman
12/11/2007, 12:37 PM
Oh ok. See that's why I love this hobby....always something to learn