PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure this out please... connecting tanks

NanoGurl
12/10/2007, 08:31 PM
Okay, I've asked before but never really "got it."

I want to have a main display tank... it would have two overflows... from there I want to run that into a 100g rubbermaid sump... and from there to a 40g "prop tank" and then back to the main DT.

My questions... I can't quite understand how you would make that work... drilling bulkhead holes... pumps... things like that. I kinda get the idea, but I can't get the actual process.

Help please!

plummike
12/10/2007, 08:39 PM
why not two seperate systems? They could share the sump but no need to connect DT and PT

REEF-n-Chicago
12/10/2007, 08:40 PM
tagging along!

Frick-n-Frags
12/10/2007, 08:41 PM
OK, here's the conceptual discontinuity:
Your sump is the bottom of the system. the pump in the bottom pumps water up to the tank on top and it overflows back down.

pretend you have 2 tanks that you are feeding from one sump, but your pump down in the sump has a branch in the return pipe.

The branching pipe goes to both tanks(one branch per tank), so that the pump is pumping water up into each tank. then each tank has its own overflow and drain back to the sump. this keeps it simple, and each tank is isolated, so you could turn the valve to the prop tank off for cleaning while the main tank kept flowing etc or turn the main tank off, but leave the frag, or add a fuge later on just like tank #3.
putting a valve on each branch lets you stop or regulate the water volume to each tank separately.

If you kept adding branches to the return plumbing, you could put lots of tanks on that one sump: one tank per return branch
HTH :)

NanoGurl
12/10/2007, 08:41 PM
That's an interesting thought and it just gave me a headache!

NanoGurl
12/10/2007, 08:44 PM
Okay... so two tanks drain into the "combined sump." Lets say the return in the sump breaks off too both tanks. How does the water level remain constant in both tanks? If I cut the valve off to one tank... would that raise the water level in the other tank? Or just make the flow faster through that tank until the other was turned back on?

m2434
12/10/2007, 08:45 PM
Overflow in the DT, overflow in the PT and a return pump in the sump. Just keep the DT above the PT and the PT above the sump and your good to go.

Frick-n-Frags
12/10/2007, 08:46 PM
You are on your own sister. heh. and may god have mercy on your shoal :D

NanoGurl
12/10/2007, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11357557#post11357557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
Overflow in the DT, overflow in the PT and a return pump in the sump. Just keep the DT above the PT and the PT above the sump and your good to go.

Does it matter how much higher?

NanoGurl
12/10/2007, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11357569#post11357569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Frick-n-Frags
You are on your own sister. heh. and may god have mercy on your shoal :D

I'm lost :P

m2434
12/10/2007, 09:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11357764#post11357764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoGurl
Does it matter how much higher?

No, not really, but should give yourself some leeway - I'd think 5-6 inches should be fine. Just make sure the tube diameter is large enough for all the water to go through.

You might try this calculator
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

navajo
12/10/2007, 10:19 PM
Just tell ClownX to get off his duff and make it work! ;)

Seriously, though, it's not too hard. Just imagine your tanks in a stair step pattern. Pump the lowest tank (prop tank) to the highest tank (display) and plumb your pipes accordingly. Unless I'm missing something here.

navajo
12/10/2007, 10:25 PM
Unless I am missing what you're trying to do, this should work (please excuse the rough drawing...)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/navajo001/TANKDESIGN.jpg

vito is hooked
12/10/2007, 11:18 PM
Ramen Noodles RULE.......!

navajo
12/10/2007, 11:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11358904#post11358904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vito is hooked
Ramen Noodles RULE.......!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever chopped up hot dogs in them and melted cheese? Makes them a bit more "hardy"!

:lol: :rollface: :lol:

ksouers
12/10/2007, 11:22 PM
NanoGurl,
Just imagine how you would plumb the tanks if they were separate systems and each had their own sump and own return pump.

Now, imagine combining the two sumps into one. One return pump feeding the display and one pump feeding the prop and each tank having it's own overflow going to the one sump.

Now it should be a simple step to imagine one return pump with a "T" on the output to feed each tank. You could have a valve on each leg of the "T" to control the return feed to each tank.

Your prop tank overflow should not go to the display tank, it should go to the sump.

This way it does not matter what height each tank is to the other as they are separate tanks with a common sump.

sfilingeri
12/10/2007, 11:27 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/sfilingeri/reef%20central/120542refug1.jpg

Does this Help? Question is, where is that 40 gallon going to be located? On the side of your Display? behind it? or under?

NanoGurl
12/11/2007, 05:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11358408#post11358408 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by navajo
Just tell ClownX to get off his duff and make it work! ;)

lol... that's so funny! =) I know right...

Hey! How are the koi doing? I want to come see them! When are you coming over again? My dog misses your kids!

NanoGurl
12/11/2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and diagrams! I think I understand it now.

I like the idea of the combined sump so I don't have to drill anything or worry about the height. That way the tanks could be farther away too.

So, the next question.. if I use the 100g Rubbermaid for the sump... how would I combine the tanks into them? Would I put both return pipes into the same section in the sump? How would I partition the sump for bubble traps? Could I make a fuge section in it?

Thanks again everyone!

NanoGurl
12/11/2007, 05:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11358972#post11358972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfilingeri
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/sfilingeri/reef%20central/120542refug1.jpg

Does this Help? Question is, where is that 40 gallon going to be located? On the side of your Display? behind it? or under?

Thanks! I don't know... I am thinking they would be at least 5' apart to the side... kinda like an L shape.

NanoGurl
12/11/2007, 05:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11358934#post11358934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ksouers
NanoGurl,
Just imagine how you would plumb the tanks if they were separate systems and each had their own sump and own return pump.

Now, imagine combining the two sumps into one. One return pump feeding the display and one pump feeding the prop and each tank having it's own overflow going to the one sump.

Now it should be a simple step to imagine one return pump with a "T" on the output to feed each tank. You could have a valve on each leg of the "T" to control the return feed to each tank.

Your prop tank overflow should not go to the display tank, it should go to the sump.

This way it does not matter what height each tank is to the other as they are separate tanks with a common sump.

That helps, thanks! I like this idea better so I don't have to worry about the height of anything.

NanoGurl
12/11/2007, 05:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11358130#post11358130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
No, not really, but should give yourself some leeway - I'd think 5-6 inches should be fine. Just make sure the tube diameter is large enough for all the water to go through.

You might try this calculator
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Thanks!

david pinder
12/11/2007, 07:00 PM
I have the system your looking for. MY 600 gal water level is about 4 inches higher than my 200 gal system I have three drain line going to my sump and one going to the 200, remeber the return lines from 200 going to sump must be able to carry more water back than the line coming in can carry into the 200. My sump is large enough that if I loose electricity the water flows to the sump and not onto the floor. then all water is pumped back from sump into the 600

navajo
12/11/2007, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11363496#post11363496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoGurl
lol... that's so funny! =) I know right...

Hey! How are the koi doing? I want to come see them! When are you coming over again? My dog misses your kids!

Yeah, tell him he's slackin'! :lol:

The koi are HUGE! Thanks again. They are pretty much bedded down for the winter. We pulled all the plants Thanksgiving weekend. But you are more than welcome to come over any time! Bring the pooch too! My son still askes about him.

Take care,

NanoGurl
12/13/2007, 12:47 PM
lol =)

I would love to come by maybe during summer so I could feed them =) Sebastian would love a road trip!