PDA

View Full Version : A BIG THUMBS UP TO MY LFS!

chris
01/09/2001, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone,

During my lunch hour I stopped in at one of my LFS's that I hadnt been to in about 6 weeks.

The last time I was there I was talking with the owner about fragging, telling him how to do it, etc.

Well, I walked in this place and he has gone fragging mad! :) He had no less than probably 30 - 40 frags of different things. He had dedicated a 125 (I think that was the size) for nothing but grow out, with a sign on it that says "NOT FOR SALE". hahaha

Anyway, I was pretty excited to see this. A BIG THUMBS UP!

Now we just have to get him to get rid of the crushed coral substrate, and Lees skimmers, on his tank. ;)

c

Q-ball
01/09/2001, 06:19 PM
Chris - congrat's on a job well-done:)

Q!!!

bigtank
01/09/2001, 06:23 PM
Wow! There's a couple "not so good" LFSs near me that would benefit from my advice, but they haven't listened the few times I've hinted about adding a skimmer and removing those wet/drys. Oh well. Someday they might realize how much better their tanks would look!

cbell-old
01/09/2001, 07:01 PM
what is the name and where is this store. wood love to find a goo lfs.

Flame*Angel
01/09/2001, 09:07 PM
Wow - a hobbiest CAN affect a LFS.

6-line
01/09/2001, 10:43 PM
Chris, what store? Sounds like you're talking about Just About Fish? Am I right? My Xenia grow-out tank is World of Pets in Florence--My Xenia grows out and I frag and I get credit saved for my 90. I have a grow-out tank in the works, but it's nice to see the LFS doing it. But knowing some of them, they'd sell you tiny 2" frags for $49 :eek:

chris
01/10/2001, 08:29 AM
Hey guys,

The store is Something Fishy in the Milford area.

Kind of a hole in the wall kind of place, but the people are nice, and they do get some nice peices of coral.

The good thing is it seems that they are on a quest to learn as much as any aquarist. They actually have VHOs over their coral tanks.

He even had glass shelves set up in the tank to put the frags up on. hehehe I couldnt believe it. I cant take all the credit (or maybe any), because he is obviously reading too.

c

FishBait
01/10/2001, 11:17 AM
dude u need to come my way and work your magic on my boss :D

docmal
01/10/2001, 12:08 PM
BigTank -

I dont meen to change the subject but why on earth would an LFS remove their wet dry systems? If they are using LR as the biomedia wet dry's are the most effecient filters available. Also if you think about the fluctuation in the amount of fish that go through the LFS they need the filtration. I definently think they should add skimmers but whats wrong with wet dry's?

P.s. I dont meen to be a jerk I'm just curious as to your logic.

6-line
01/10/2001, 01:51 PM
Another point to that reply,
Every LFS I've seen, coral dedicated tanks, fish only or both--they've always implemented wet/drys whether or not they had enough live rock or not. The reasoning behind using only live rock is the nitrate build-up and lack of removal with a bioball setup. But the LFS's I know of hardly feed their corals in the selling tanks and if they do, it's DT's or something on an inconsistent basis. The fish they feed sparingly. So I don't believe nitrates are a big issue, especially since they do frequent water changes. And with the livestock turnover rate--the bioload is hardly ever the same so I believe the Wet drys are a plausible application in these circumstances.
Docmal: If you know anything about BigTank and his history on previous posts and other boards, you wouldn't need to ask that question, (sorry to say, but i can't hold back).