PDA

View Full Version : List of reef safe inverts?

Radioheadx14
12/10/2007, 06:45 PM
Does someone have a list of reef safe inverts? I want to add more inverts to my tank but i dont want them to eat my zoas or toadstools or feather dusters. I currently have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, some hermits and snails. looking for some cool inverts for a 75g.

I was thinking of:
serpent star or two
emerald crab
porceline crab

i wish i could get some asteroidea star fish, i guess i could get a sand sifter but i only have a 3-4 month old sand bed.

A nice list of reef safe inhabitants would be nice. (im not worried about LPS or SPS since i do not have stong lighting)

AaronKelly
12/10/2007, 06:53 PM
i wouldnt recommend getting a sand sifter... they eat all the good organisms out of the sand bed and then your tank will crash...

jeweldamsel
12/10/2007, 07:56 PM
I witnessed my emarld crab consumed my zoa's before I banned it from my tank.

Radioheadx14
12/10/2007, 09:17 PM
Bump... any good lists? Or odds on the "safe with caution" some people dont like emeralds while others have never had a problem. What about the porcelain crabs?

Myrddraal
12/11/2007, 01:21 PM
I've never read anything bad about porcelain crabs, since they are primarily filter feeders it seems like it would be a rare one that goes rogue.

otiso777
12/11/2007, 01:53 PM
Make sure you don't get green serpent star. They're fish killers

jeweldamsel
12/11/2007, 10:26 PM
Personally, I like queen conches. They are good sand shifters and good detritus and algae eaters. However, they will die when tank temperature is over 80F.

kathainbowen
12/11/2007, 10:43 PM
On the sand sifting starfish- do not get one, please? They tend to pretty voraciously eat everything living in a sandbed before going off to die somewhere where, generally, a reef keeper won't notice until AFTER the body starts to rather quickly decompose (although, melt is really a more appropriate word) and foul the water. It's a gross, disgusting thing when a starfish dies, and there are really other starfish which are better suited to reef tanks.

On the emerald (mithrix) crabs- there are pretty even odds of getting a "good" or a "bad" one when it comes to polyp ripping/eating. Generally, the behavior is only saved for damaged or dying polyps (which could be considered a good thing to some). So, you'll probably hear equal arguments for and against emerald crabs.

I like boxer (pom pom) crabs, but you'll never see them in a tank that big.

jeweldamsel
12/11/2007, 11:01 PM
I agree with the sand shifting starfish. They will turn your live sand bed to dead sand bed.

demonsp
12/11/2007, 11:05 PM
This site may help some. It gives alot of info on all critters.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=497

woganaga
12/11/2007, 11:11 PM
Check out the PomPom Crab (or Boxer Crab, depening where you buy it).... they hide a lot but when they come out they shake their mini-anemones in the water - its pretty cool. Reef safe AFAIK - never bothers any of my corals.

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/anemoni/ESATriactis2.jpg