PDA

View Full Version : how to i get rid of the algae

Spartanman22
12/10/2007, 06:08 PM
i have a 75 reef and i have what i was told black algae. It is blackish colored and it is slimy and forms all over the rocks. Although this is settling down and dieing off but i still have this green algae that gets on the rocks and the glass. I have to clean the glass like 2 times a day. Could it be my lights. I just switched lights and it seems to have increased since then. The lights are 2x 250 mh and 4x65 pc. And a little off topic but with this light can i keep any type of coral. I know the whole watts per gallon isnt all that accurate but this gives me around 10.2 watts per gallon.

yellowwatchmen
12/10/2007, 06:19 PM
What are your paremeters, filteration, how long has it been set up, flow, sump, fuge, get the idea need more info. In my opionion you can keep just about any thing with your lighting, depending on your water quality.

mr_anderson
12/10/2007, 06:25 PM
i used to have the algea issues too. If you have a refugium, I would recommend leaving the lights on 24/7. I did this with chaeto and the green algea dissappeared within 2-3 weeks. Chaeto is very good about taking in nitrates and phosphates which will starve the green algea in your display tank. my .02 cents. good luck

Spartanman22
12/10/2007, 06:54 PM
well i ran out of test strip so i am taking in a water sample today, but im in highschool so i have no money i have everything except a sump, but hopefully ill get one for christmas. It has been set up seven months and i have 1 number 2 hydor koralia and one other one dont know the brand. I will be getting another number two this week and then two number ones later on