PDA

View Full Version : QT tank plumbed to main tank?

chrissreef
12/10/2007, 01:09 PM
Is there a way I can plumb a coral QT tank to the main display in a way that will prevent bugs from entering the main display?

I want to observe for aptasia, flatworms etc. b4 infesting the main tank.

This way i don't need seperate filtration and there is less acclimation stress.

Maybe a UV sterilizer or two on the return side?

(I'd like to use the same qt tank for fish if possible)

JediReefer
12/10/2007, 01:15 PM
QT..IMO NO.

Frag prop...OK.

mille239
12/10/2007, 01:17 PM
I think it is in your best interest to separate the systems. Any pathogens that come in on a new coral or fish are bound to find theur way into the main tank if you have the systems connected. A UV filter between the tanks might help some, but is no guarantee that nothing bad will pass through.

luckily, a QT tank needs little more than some light (if you plan on QT'ing corals) water movement by means of a powerhead or the such, and a small sponge filter for denitrification bacteria (which can be charged from your system sump and place in the QT tank)
other than that, just regular waterchanges are all thats necessary. a skimmer is also helpful, but certainly not necessary if you maintain regular water changes.

You could plumb your QT tank into your main system, and have it circulate therewith, and just use valves to shut it off from the main tank when it is time to QT a new arrival. then when you introduce the new arrival to the main tank, drain the QT tank, and refill with new water, and turn the e valves back on. voila, QT tank ready for action again, and you just performed a water change on your system!