PDA

View Full Version : Moving soon...

Dave1NC
12/10/2007, 10:44 AM
Hello Fellow Reefers,
I will be moving soon and was looking for some advice about some current issues with my tank. I have many different types of corals: SPS, LPS and soft corals. One of the problems I've been having has been with Hair Algae. I have since been able to eliminate the nitrates and excess phosphates in the tank.

My problem is what can I do to remove to hair algae before or after I move the tank? Would it be easier to dismantle the tank and scrub each rock? I have several mushrooms and star polyps that have attached themselves to the live rock in the tank, so removing the hair algae without disturbing the corals might be a bit challenging. Should I remove the corals that have attached themselves to the rock so I can properly clean them?

Has anyone ever had to deal with anything like this?

Thanks.

landlord
12/10/2007, 10:49 AM
Hmmmm. If you were able to eliminate the nitrate / phosphate issues then you really shouldn't have anymore hair algae. In any case if you really want to remove it before the move then I suggest cutting your lights back, maybe getting a couple Mexican Turbo snails to eat it up. You might also want to re-check your Nitrates and Phosphates. Algae doesn't grow without a food source....

FWIW --landlord