PDA

View Full Version : BB, Deep sand bed, shallow sand bed?

DewDropPony
12/10/2007, 01:10 AM
So what is your take on the whole substrate issue? I hear lots of arguments going all ways.

nemonick84
12/10/2007, 01:59 AM
It all depends on what you're looking for. BB tanks are often easiest to export nutrients as water movement reaches virtually every inch of the tank keeping particulate in suspension. It's then easily removed via surface/protein skimming or mechanical filtration. This usually doesn't appeal to hobbyists who prefer to simulate the natural environment as well as utilize natural filtration methods - this being the DSB advocates. The idea being that not only does the sandbed mimic the ocean floor, it also provides a breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria that aid in nitrate reduction. The SSB followers are mostly concerned with creating a natural looking tank and appeasing aesthetics.
There's pros and cons to each approach, it really just depends on your preferences. Do your research and see which one appeals most to you - or makes the most sense.

HTH

Nick

flyyyguy
12/10/2007, 03:40 AM
That was pretty well put in a nice short paragraph :)

snorvich
12/10/2007, 06:56 AM
Yes, it was an excellent posting. Of course, if you use a RDSB you can get benefits of denitrification and still have the other two options benefits. Just be sure that no detritus can accumulate in the RDSB and that you keep it dark or nearly so. That way nothing can grow.

There is an excellent thread of RDSB (remote deep sand bed) on one of the stickies in the advanced section.

IceWish
12/10/2007, 07:43 AM
i was very successful with a dsb , and i am also setting up a new tank with a DSB, so i guess im DSB all the way..

clekchau
12/10/2007, 07:43 AM
that question is about as clear cut as the middle east

DewDropPony
12/10/2007, 04:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11352548#post11352548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clekchau
that question is about as clear cut as the middle east

It was just asking what are everyone's preferences are and why

ljosh
12/10/2007, 05:13 PM
A DSB can be a good cheap natural denitrifier. I am keeping mine remote in a refugium setting (with lighting and cheato). That way I get all the benifits and if a problem develops it can be isolated and removed from the system easily whitout having to disturb the display tanks.

jcpatella
12/10/2007, 05:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11355861#post11355861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ljosh
A DSB can be a good cheap natural denitrifier. I am keeping mine remote in a refugium setting (with lighting and cheato). That way I get all the benifits and if a problem develops it can be isolated and removed from the system easily whitout having to disturb the display tanks.

That's how I plan on doing mine when I set my new tank up. In my display tank, I'll keep about an inch of sand for corals that prefer it. I personally don't like the look of a DSB once it becomes established.

Anemonebuff
12/10/2007, 06:09 PM
I now run a shallow sand bed, and had a DSB. To continually add creatures to the sand bed to keep it stable is a PITA. A DSB works best in a refugium. My next tank will have a DSB in a refugium and a very shallow sand bed in the main tank for asthetics.

m2434
12/10/2007, 06:17 PM
I think that BB's are good especially for high flow reefs. Personally, I find the life in the sand too intresting to give up (and I like the denitrification ability IMO LR just dosn't do quite as well there).