PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell who's house in the neighborhood has a reef tank running???

sasscuba
12/09/2007, 11:42 PM
It's the only house in the neighborhood with a generator running.......man am I glad we got the generator wired into the house yesterday!!!!

We are the only house with power as far as the eye can see! No power from the massive ice storm for 12 hours now. Sure is nice to be able to keep the entire reef running with the HEAT, tv, appliances and lights on. And of course the internet to surf reef central.........

Thank you Briggs and Stratton!!!!!:D :) ;) :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

DOTZ
12/09/2007, 11:47 PM
It's the one that the police go to to see if they're growing weed because they see the bright glow of hte halides.LOL True story for some I know.

ReefTECK
12/09/2007, 11:59 PM
Very nice! how much juice does your tank suck from that thing? and how big of a unit did you get/need. and of course....how much did you spend, I also need to look into getting one, I've just got five D battery operated air pumps. Gotta step it up a notch, gratz!

ltz,
andy

LobsterOfJustice
12/10/2007, 01:00 AM
I look for the "reefer glow"... you know, the glow of actinic or halide shining through a window. When I'm picking something up from a local reefer's house, I use directions to get onto the street and then try to find the house by the glow.

Guess which apartment is mine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/Apartmentglow.jpg

jcpatella
12/10/2007, 01:08 AM
Haha!! That's hilarious! The front two windows of my house look like that! I always wonder what the neighbors think....

skinz78
12/10/2007, 01:09 AM
LOL nice pic lobster!!!

Snowboarda42
12/10/2007, 01:11 AM
ha ha I was going to suggest the glowing blue lights that shut off at the same time each night

AquaReeferMan
12/10/2007, 01:18 AM
I look for the bright lights and the empty salt buckets.

ACBlinky
12/10/2007, 01:54 AM
LOL too funny! We just moved to a new city this September, and our building is primarily a senior's building (we're told they only started permitting us younger folks to live here about five years ago). I've heard quite a few comments from some of the other tenants when we're all outside walking our dogs about "the place with the bright lights"; it's fun to eavesdrop and listen to the neighbors speculate about what "that young couple from the city" might be up to :D

BodiBuilt
12/10/2007, 01:57 AM
HeHe... My house has a slightly different colored bright hue from each window...:eek:

Kannin
12/10/2007, 02:49 AM
I live in Seattle and we had a 5 day outage last november so I got a Briggs & Stratton 7000W standby generator and... Not so much as a flicker, but I'm ready.

Lordhelmet
12/10/2007, 03:26 AM
just before I started reefing I would see an apartment next to my cus that was blue and wondered why they had such crazy lights above their fish tank. Now I know.

kathainbowen
12/10/2007, 06:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11351926#post11351926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
[B]I look for the "reefer glow"... you know, the glow of actinic or halide shining through a window. When I'm picking something up from a local reefer's house, I use directions to get onto the street and then try to find the house by the glow.

:lol:

A former friend moved out of the rental house and into a friend's house. After a sudden increase in power bills (five people living in one house, running the AC all the time, and with this new girl running a fan on her overheating Mac cpu and a space heater beside that 24/7- it all adds up) I got the best call ever. Seems a well meaning elderly neighbor who the home owner ran into put a strange thought in his head about the uber-large power bill and the strange glow out the front windows.

"Sweetie, can you come over and help me figure out who's growing pot in the closet?"

sasscuba
12/10/2007, 07:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11351623#post11351623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefTECK
Very nice! how much juice does your tank suck from that thing? and how big of a unit did you get/need. and of course....how much did you spend, I also need to look into getting one, I've just got five D battery operated air pumps. Gotta step it up a notch, gratz!

ltz,
andy

We have a 1600 square foot home and we bought a 8500 starting watts/5550 running watt generator.

It will run our refrigerator, outside freezer, house heat, tv and cable boxes, and just about all lights.

It will run my 125 gallon tank with (2) 300 watt heater, filters, powerheads and I run 2 of the 36 inch Aquactinics lights with 10 bulbs of 39 watt HO T-5's. It will run the entire task plus an entire 40 gallon FOWLR.

Generator was $750 but we got it on clearance after winter last year for $600.

Life/fish saver for sure!!!!!

Pmolan
12/10/2007, 07:58 AM
WOW.. Thats a big FU to your neighbors!! You have EVERY light on because you can!! :)

Freed
12/10/2007, 08:00 AM
Did you wire it in to your house system or pay someone to do it? How much it cost you if you did?

sasscuba
12/10/2007, 08:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11352585#post11352585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Did you wire it in to your house system or pay someone to do it? How much it cost you if you did?

My father did. It cost me $135 for parts and it took him all of 45 minutes.

IceWish
12/10/2007, 08:09 AM
:) ha ha ha , thats so funny, the street i live is a little steep and my house is more towards bottom of the hill....You can see my lights from the top of the hill which is about 15 houses away..

monkeydude
12/10/2007, 08:36 AM
Great pick up and just in time. The local police have stopped by to see why my house glows.

tkeracer619
12/10/2007, 10:33 AM
:lol: you guys need to use better reflectors to get that light on your corals and not on the blinds.

My 360 with luminarcs is a 1/4 as bright out the window then my 150 with trusty old batwings.

You can still see me from over a mile away though D;

You wouldnt have the police stopping by in colorado but im sure some of the more uptight states about that stuff wouldnt blink twice about prying into your home. In general somebody who grows illegal things indoors doesn't do it in their livingroom, on the first floor, with the blinds open..... anyways I have been told by an officer (my neighbor is one) when I asked about the subject. His reply "if there aren't any leafy shadows then its 99.9% a fish tank." They aren't stupid :)

SASSCUBA have you ever seen these conversions?
http://www.propane-generators.com/

sasscuba
12/10/2007, 01:10 PM
SASSCUBA have you ever seen these conversions?
http://www.propane-generators.com/ [/B][/QUOTE]

Pretty cool. I will have to take a closer look at those. Thanks.

cwilson
12/10/2007, 01:13 PM
there are a few very high-class homes about 15-20 minutes from me, and a few of them have giant, GORGEOUS tanks! they just put them in their front office/sitting room/im-rich-and-have-no-purpose-for-this-space-room/whatever, and they just leaves the curtains open!

they flaunt it!

Freed
12/10/2007, 01:19 PM
Hell yes!! That's what I'm gonna do on my next house. I want to spread the cheer. Looky here see what I have!!

BrokeColoReefer
12/10/2007, 01:59 PM
you would think that the cops would know that you grow dope under 3500k HPS lighting, not 20k MH....

dcombs44
12/10/2007, 02:36 PM
I live in an apartment complex off the interstate, my parents came to visit and pointed out that you can see my apartment from the exit ramp.

The 80 year old neighbor lady thought I had a tanning bed. I would officially be the whitest tanning bed owner known to man if it was. Especially for running the thing 10 hours a day.

davocean
12/10/2007, 02:36 PM
There's 2 houses on our lot.
My landlord was looking at the meters, " huh, this one isn't working...oh wait, there it goes, but muuuch slower than the other. The slower must be your smaller house Dave"
I just smiled and kept my mouth shut.
He still thinks my 90g was a big deal, he doesn't even realize I bumped to 180g!:)
And when he saw meter, I was running both to cycle b4 swap.

corbett_n
12/10/2007, 02:38 PM
You can tell I am a reefer, because I am always dumping buckets of water in the yard.

ryanpal
12/10/2007, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354828#post11354828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corbett_n
You can tell I am a reefer, because I am always dumping buckets of water in the yard.

killed half my backyard lawn by doing that. now i dump on the weeds

usmc121581
12/10/2007, 03:05 PM
When doing water changes I would just have a line going outside. So whenever I did them I would have a damp yard. Also this past summer tring to hide that I was using water I wasn't suppose to was a tricky thing to do. It was during the droughts when we werent suppose to use water.

steven_dean17
12/10/2007, 03:08 PM
I have a deck on the front and on the back. I have found no better weed killer to keep me from mowing/slashing/grabbing the weeds out from under them. Maybe we could sell our used water to landscapers?

S_Stoney_S
12/10/2007, 04:06 PM
If you think about it, a marine fish tank is kinda like active camoflague for ganj growers :). Just hide the growroom behind the tank.

hyperfocal
12/10/2007, 05:10 PM
Too funny! You can see my son's nano through his bedroom window, even though it's on the second floor. There's no question it's a fish tank, so I expect no visits from Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrain.

If I catch a hint of a tank as I'm driving through the neighborhood, I can't help but slow down and take a quick glance. Invariably, it's freshwater :-(

cur10u5g30rg3
12/10/2007, 05:27 PM
It is alot of fun to walk around our neighboorhood and figure out which houses have reef tanks by the glow. It is also a good way to meet your neighboors.

miwoodar
12/10/2007, 05:36 PM
My wife and I bought a new house last year. I pushed for the one that was next to the house with the blue lights. It was a BIG ora - I almost knocked on the door to see if the guy wanted to trade frags.

REEF-n-Chicago
12/10/2007, 05:47 PM
Do IT... Knock , Knock ?!!! :)

miwoodar
12/10/2007, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, we bought a different house. I would have to drive halfway across town to do so.

REEF-n-Chicago
12/10/2007, 06:10 PM
:)

Kryptikhan
12/10/2007, 06:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11351926#post11351926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
I look for the "reefer glow"... you know, the glow of actinic or halide shining through a window. When I'm picking something up from a local reefer's house, I use directions to get onto the street and then try to find the house by the glow.

Guess which apartment is mine:

I was wondering about this lol. For now, The jones's will just think I'm one happy xmas guy with totally blue lights shining through my front window (that of which I do house a totally blue lit tree). But after the holidays, the E.T-like glow will still prevail. I might have to get black blinds becaue the glow is so immense lol

AquaKnight407
12/13/2007, 11:36 PM
House with big front bay window, sweet! Putting tank in front room, cool. Having your house act as a street lamp, not the best...

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/221/outsidelightspg5.jpg

A.T.T.R
12/14/2007, 12:30 AM
best tip for stoping the glow out the windows..

use tap water

in a few months your front glass will have so muh algae that no light will shine in

i have a lot of lights in my garadge in a condo. and an ac unit in the attic( you can hear itfrom the street) also sometimes i open the door when the halides are on and im messing around in there IM WAITING FOR SOME ONE TO ASK if im growing pot. or better yet... if i want to trade some frags

phenom5
12/14/2007, 01:20 AM
In general somebody who grows illegal things indoors doesn't do it in their livingroom, on the first floor, with the blinds open..... anyways I have been told by an officer (my neighbor is one) when I asked about the subject. His reply "if there aren't any leafy shadows then its 99.9% a fish tank."

that was my thought when people started talking about growing weed...

They aren't stupid

that wasn't. :D :smokin: