PDA

View Full Version : Build Up on the Bottom

Cpt Bob
12/09/2007, 08:53 PM
I have a bare bottom 75 gl mixed reef and I have built up some serious crap on the bottom. Most of it is gray and I guess it is just detrious. Should I point a powerhead at the bottom and blow it into the water column for my skimmer to suck out or should I vacuum it out? Will it have any negative effects if i blow it into the water coloumn? Thanks for the help guys

alten78
12/09/2007, 09:12 PM
Thats exactly right :) BB tanks need alot of flow to keep detrious off of the bottom and into the water column for the skimmer and whatnot to filter out.

tecoral
12/09/2007, 09:22 PM
Id syphon out as much as you can first during a waterchange maybe even scraping it off and after address the low flow issue. You sound like you need more. What are you using for water movement?

AquaReeferMan
12/09/2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah I would siphon it out first. I would rather see you take it out then just blow it around again. If it settled somewhere before its going to do it again. Manually remove as much as you can and then bump up your flow to keep it from returning.

Cpt Bob
12/10/2007, 12:06 AM
I have plenty of flow but not much of it hits the bottom. I will reposition one of my seios to do the job after i vacuum. thanks guys