PDA

View Full Version : center support brace

cgarr017
12/09/2007, 07:35 PM
would it be a bad idea to remove the plastic center support brace that runs from the front to the back on the top rim of the tank? the shadow is really starting to annoy me. if so what is the best way to do it

Pmolan
12/09/2007, 07:44 PM
No, no, no, no , no. That holds the front glass from bowing out. I would buy a 2nd light before cutting that.

syrinx
12/09/2007, 07:56 PM
Word.

reefergeorge
12/09/2007, 08:25 PM
Call the manufacturer.
I have seen a few tanks that it has been done, but I wouldn't.

usmc121581
12/09/2007, 08:26 PM
I did on my 65 gallon sump. But its not full to the top so I havent had problems but I would not recommend it on a full tank.

masonicman
12/09/2007, 08:59 PM
DO NOT DO THAT. You can cause a real bad problem. Your front glass seals can give way and water water water. The front more then the rear become weaker. Your tank is prob. leveled but most of time the weight end up shifting towards the front because we work at the front more then the rear.

Craig Lambert
12/09/2007, 09:07 PM
It wasn't placed there for the heck of it.......

Swanwillow
12/09/2007, 09:10 PM
on my 55 gallon, the center brace melted off due to a MH. (oops)

As far as I know, its still running. But, its also a smaller tank. On a larger tank I'd say NO! I just don't see much of a shadow.

Light makes a ^ shape, so there really shouldn't BE a shadow.

IPowderBlueTang
12/09/2007, 09:14 PM
I would not remove the brace, unless you have an tank engineers report stating it was safe to remove the brace. Either get two MH lighting for the tank as the others have also stated!

cgarr017
12/09/2007, 10:03 PM
at first i had my halide running front to back along with the bar and then i repositioned it to go longways and it makes the shadow even worse. the shadow is very distinct, it doesn't even blend or fade it has sharp edges which i don't understand. i guess not much i can do without getting another halide huh

Swanwillow
12/09/2007, 10:10 PM
excuses, excuses... always upgrading the tank, sheesh!

LOL

pledosophy
12/10/2007, 02:58 AM
All my tqanks hae center braces and I see no shadows. I am one of the most light sensitive people you will ever meet and there is no difference to me.

Perahps you need to clean the center brace?

I am unsure of why there would be any type of shadow caused by clear glass or acrylic?

flyyyguy
12/10/2007, 03:25 AM
removing it is FINE.

Leave yourself a couple of inches of it intact on each side and get some weld on #40 and replace what you cut out with a piece of 1/8" acrylic.

you will need to wipe the salt creep off it every now and then but you will get light through it and lose the shadow

cgarr017
12/10/2007, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11352261#post11352261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pledosophy
All my tqanks hae center braces and I see no shadows. I am one of the most light sensitive people you will ever meet and there is no difference to me.

Perahps you need to clean the center brace?

I am unsure of why there would be any type of shadow caused by clear glass or acrylic?

i didn't know they made clear support braces. mine is black, just like the rest of the top and bottom rim of the tank. i have heard many many no no no and 1 yes it's fine.....

H2OLUVSME
12/10/2007, 02:34 PM
Re-red the "yes its fine" post. He says its fine if you replace it with clear acrylic, and I agree.

Also you could remove the whole top frame and do a euro style brace set up with glass strips.

FWIW, older style tanks had glass center braces.

cgarr017
12/10/2007, 02:57 PM
ok well would it be safe to do any of these transformation processes with the tank full and thriving... assuming that the problems arrising from no brace would result over a longer period of time?

flyyyguy
12/10/2007, 03:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354976#post11354976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cgarr017
ok well would it be safe to do any of these transformation processes with the tank full and thriving... assuming that the problems arrising from no brace would result over a longer period of time?

it would be fine assuming you put something temporary in place to support it until the new brace can do its job. end reuslt you want is the same amount of bowing allowed as before you cut it out.

if you just cut that brace oput and let it go it could be ugly

A large clamp set up so that it holds the current rim front and back without putting any stress points on the glass wouls suffice. just take your time in this as if it slipped off abruptly the tank could surely come apart just as abruptly