PDA

View Full Version : AGE - quality/experiences? (custom tank builder)

chrissreef
12/09/2007, 01:35 PM
Hi, anyone have any experiences with an AGE custom built tank? If so, what's your opinion of the quality/tank? Thanks!

tbone28
12/09/2007, 04:55 PM
I LOVE mine! Quality is top notch, and working with Tom was a great experience as well. I considered Aquarium Obsessed, Miracles, and Glass Cages. Went with A.G.E because of the 1" PVC bottom and 1-piece 3/4" acrylic Eurobrace. Also doesn't hurt that A.G.E has never had a tank leak on them.

I wanted a eurobrace on my tank, and was concerend with a glass eurobrace (4 pieces siliconed togeter), as there is still potential for the silicone to come apart.

You may want to PM some A.G.E owners. They all seem happy too.
Invincible569
Dudester
CA Reefer
Naka

chrissreef
12/09/2007, 05:30 PM
ty very much! that's what I was thinking (plexiglass eurobrace and pvc base)

They're a bit expensive but not having to worry about leaks is prime importance for me.

doh, I can't find their website now. I heard you can stop by and watch the tank be built.

tbone28
12/09/2007, 05:51 PM
www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com

For my sized tank, it only cost a few hundred dollars more than the other custom tank makers - but I have a standard 180g footprint.

The other thing I liked about A.G.E is that they use black acrylic for the overflow and they CNC-cut everything, so the teeth in the overflow and all their other cuts are very clean.

The runner up for me was the AO tank, which has good support on this forum. Many people like the look of their overflows, but the grate they use on it just looks funny to me.

A.G.E doesn't sell direct to the public - you need to purchase through your LFS, so you can probably shop your various LFS' to get prices. It will all depend on how much they mark up the tank. My LFS did a 10% markup.

Not sure if you can watch them build your tank, but you're in Texas, so that may be a possiblility. I do know that they email their customers pictures of the progress though.

tbone28
12/09/2007, 05:51 PM
www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com

For my sized tank, it only cost a few hundred dollars more than the other custom tank makers - but I have a standard 180g footprint.

The other thing I liked about A.G.E is that they use black acrylic for the overflow and they CNC-cut everything, so the teeth in the overflow and all their other cuts are very clean.

The runner up for me was the AO tank, which has good support on this forum. Many people like the look of their overflows, but the grate they use on it just looks funny to me.

A.G.E doesn't sell direct to the public - you need to purchase through your LFS, so you can probably shop your various LFS' to get prices. It will all depend on how much they mark up the tank. My LFS did a 10% markup.

Not sure if you can watch them build your tank, but you're in Texas, so that may be a possiblility. I do know that they email their customers pictures of the progress though.

Join the club! You won't be disappointed!