PDA

View Full Version : Decisions - Decisions {Lighting}

Chopstix
12/09/2007, 08:23 AM
I currently have a 70g {48x18x18} setup. I started this tank a couple of months ago. I had a 55g setup for about 5 years up until the great flood of Mother's Day '07. When that tank broke I mixed up some water and put all of my rock into the laundry tub with a light, heater and a couple power heads. There it sat for the next 6 months or so. Back in business now!!

At any rate, on to my question:
I currently have the 48" Current-USA Orbit fixture. 4x65 PC. I just replaced the bulbs in it and went with their 'SmartPaq" bulbs. Each is a 10k & blue. I am planning on buying a new fixture and am not sure which way to go. I have it narrowed down to 2 styles.

1.) 2x 175w HQI + 2x Actinic tubes

2.) A straight T-5 fixture.

I'm not planning to build a canopy. I like the openess and easy access afforded by a fixture over the tank plus my heat is constant and manageable. So retro-kits probably aren't an option for me.

The tank obviously is not real deep. I am probably planning to stay with LPS for the most part. Just picked up a nice 6 headed piece of frogspawn last night. He has been living under MH lighting so I hope he responds to the lighting I have currently.

I am not so sure I really even need MH? I was looking at that Current Nova Extreme Pro T-5 fixture. 6 tubes; 3 each 10k & actinic. I could grab that for a couple hundred less than an HQI based one. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem spending the extra $$ if you think in the long run that would be the better way to go. I can get away with going into the 650 - 700 dollar range without getting into too much trouble. ;)

So my question to you all would be:
Go with the T-5's or bite the bullet and go MH. And if I go MH, should it be the HQI or should I look more along the lines of something with single ended bulbs?

I appreciate everyone's input on this before I spend the money and end up wishing I would've gotten 'X' instead.

Steve