PDA

View Full Version : Stonefish @ LFS ***?? also, questions on bettas

Aj Flip
12/08/2007, 12:21 PM
like it says, my LFS was selling a stonefish! lol
it was going for $34.50 (cheap???)
i came back another day and noticed it was gone and its tank cleaned out, first thing came to my mind was it killed an employee who was trying to take it out without knowing the danger, so they must of got rid of it somehow.

also, are marine bettas good tankmates for clowns, tangs, and other common community fish??

how about fresh water bettas, could they tolerate salt water since they breathe from the surface?

LukFox
12/08/2007, 12:43 PM
If the stonefish killed an employee the store would get shut down or something. I bet it just sold.

What kind of clownfish? Marine bettas can eat smaller fish. What is your smallest fish?

Freshwater bettas can't go into marine... It doesn't matter that they're labyrinth fish. It all still goes through their gills and bodies.

Aj Flip
12/08/2007, 01:30 PM
ummm percs, ocis, maroons, wrasses, they would be eaten by marine bettas?

also, before, when i used to breed fresh water bettas, i put quite a bit of sea salt in the tanks and it seemed to benefit them alot

Kinetic
12/08/2007, 01:56 PM
if your marine betta gets big enough, it'll eat all of those guys...

LukFox
12/08/2007, 02:03 PM
I'm sure you were using aquarium salt. When I was recommended to put salt in for my betta, they were referring to aquarium salt. I thought they meant marine salt, and the betta died (I was 12 or 13, give me a break. I didn't know the difference back then). Bettas can't go into marine or even brackish, and aquarium salt is different from marine salt.

Aj Flip
12/08/2007, 02:24 PM
i used instant ocean salt

LukFox
12/08/2007, 02:36 PM
You must have used a really, really low dosage then. Full marine or even enough to qualify as brackish, I don't see a betta living through.

xxseawolf
12/08/2007, 02:36 PM
i have a LARGE marine beta with a purple tang, GSmaroon clown, lawnmower blenny, CB angel, lyretail anthias, and a sixline wrasse(was tiny when i first got her). never an issue. the beta has been in my tank for one year. i keep her well fed with ghost shrimp. good luck.

todd

tcmfish
12/08/2007, 04:52 PM
I highly doubt the betta would attack your fish. I currently have three (what I believe to be a pair and a third wheel in another tank) and they only go after small shrimp like an inch or inch and a half in length and small fish like feeder guppies and frozen food. I wouldn't worry about one with an average sized clown, but a juv. might be a different story.

crazedpuffer
12/08/2007, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11342152#post11342152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LukFox
I'm sure you were using aquarium salt. When I was recommended to put salt in for my betta, they were referring to aquarium salt. I thought they meant marine salt, and the betta died (I was 12 or 13, give me a break. I didn't know the difference back then). Bettas can't go into marine or even brackish, and aquarium salt is different from marine salt.

Also aquarium salt is bad for your fish in the long run. It's really only good for curing ich and stuff thats it, otherwise it damages fishes immune systems.