PDA

View Full Version : My yellow leather!! is dying??

whoopper
12/07/2007, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I purchase a (Bright) yellow leather last saturday.It hasn't open since then and also it looks like melted on the rock were i place it. Also it looks like brownish and when i get home i can see some thing that looks like detritus on the coral. At first i though it was just the shreding process but it really don't look so good. On one of the sides you can see the interior of the coral looks like white flesh. It is place on a spot with good light and flow .

My parameters:
Nitrates.10
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0
Calcium 420
Ph 8.2

Any help will be appreciated!!

griss
12/07/2007, 10:48 AM
Lina,

I moved this to the Soft Coral forum where you will most likely get more help:)

jdr8271
12/09/2007, 10:03 PM
How is the water flow, lighting, and temperature of the water? Those could be the cause of the problem. Too hot temperature, too much light or too little light, and not enough water flow can cause problems with coral sometimes.

lancer99
12/10/2007, 01:06 AM
Lina,
Yellow leathers need conditions that are more like SPS than a typical leather coral. They should have enough water flow to move them from side to side. If they have enough flow, you should never see any detritus collecting on them.

Having said that, they are a bit delicate at first, and maybe you just got a bad one......if you see white stuff, it's probably on its way out, and should be removed.

HTH,
-R

whoopper
12/11/2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks !! I lost the coral! It wasn't looking good since i bring it home!! Thanks Anyway!!

lancer99
12/12/2007, 12:16 AM
Lina,
I'm sorry to hear that. As I mentioned, yellow leathers can be a bit delicate. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Having said that, sometime leathers just don't make it, for whatever reason.

Maybe you can try some less-difficult leathers first...there are many beautiful Sarcophton species. The ORA long-polyp leathers are IMHO beautiful.

Here is my boy, a new addition to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/131471DSCN3791_crop_low.jpg

He seems happy so far!

Take care...softies RULE!
-R

bitis316
12/14/2007, 09:43 PM
High light, high current.....http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/138429yellow_2.JPG