PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where to find....

reefman13
12/05/2007, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know of ANY online fish retailer that carries Jewel Tangs?

Travis L. Stevens
12/05/2007, 04:36 PM
You mean Gem Tangs (Zebrasoma gemmatum)?
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/gemtang/

hahnmeister
12/05/2007, 04:46 PM
He may not... Acanthurus guttatus
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/jeweltang/

SCR
12/05/2007, 04:53 PM
Not to many people want a $3500. fish.

reefman13
12/05/2007, 07:44 PM
Zebrasoma gemmatum that is the correct fish..............but $3500 is not anything I am willing to risk.............I have seen a few of them in Europe that were about $150..................so thanks guys..........I may end up going with the real Jewel tang though....

mr pink floyd
12/05/2007, 08:28 PM
I may end up going with the real Jewel tang though....

doubt it

reefman13
12/05/2007, 09:01 PM
pink floyd, why is that?

What if I told you that I had just placed an order with Westport Aquarium to get one for me....what would you say to that?

comments like that are not needed.....

mr pink floyd
12/05/2007, 09:13 PM
Then i would ask, why are ou looking for one online if you just placed an order at westport?

reefman13
12/05/2007, 09:21 PM
I said 'just' for a reason. They quoted me, and I wanted to know if I could get it for cheaper online........I don't know why you are so bothered by this....

hahnmeister
12/05/2007, 10:43 PM
You can get them for much less than $3500. I know an importer who can get them for under $1000. The problem is its a supply&demand thing. They only get collected once a year or so from Mauritius. So the best price you will find is from someone who collects directly from there.

The other problem is that the minimum quantity per box is 12... so unless you can get a small bank-loan, or want to throw down $12K on tangs, good luck.

I dont think they are worth it in the end... neither are black/longnose tangs. All that expense, and for what? To say you have something rare? They look cool, but not THAT cool. Black tangs are just that... jet black. Whoopie. Their rarity is what makes them so pricey, not their looks. For $12K, Id get a 500g instead and keep some of the real large pretty fish that are much easier to get a hold of... you know?

Compare a gem tang to a nice regal angel... there is no comparison. Or a Acanthurus dussumieri, Sohal, Acanthurus bariene, or Acanthurus blochii. Heck, I think a Red Sea purple looks better even, or a Naso vlamingi. And with the money you would have spent on the Gem tang, those others are attainable.

I mean really, a Gem tang has similar markings to a Marine Betta... and those are $50 or less.