PDA

View Full Version : Tank quote.

noodle
11/07/2002, 05:32 PM
The time is getting near for me to upgrade.

Background:
I have had a 84x24x24 glass tank quoted at approximetely $1000. It can be anywhere between 7 and 8 foot in length for the same price since the glass sheets come in 8 foot lengths. The only problem I have is getting a 8 footer into my house. I believe the largest I can get is about 71/2. They also quoted $10 per drilled hole. I plan on putting acrylic overflows in myself, I did that on my current tank and it was no problem.

Here are my questions:
1) I believe I want to go with glass....personal experience. They have quoted 1/2 inch for sidewalls. Is this thick enough for an 8 footer?

2) Is the price acceptable?
Don't know the vendor and I assume it may be a small company. As far as warranty goes I will not put it on a stand since it will be an in-wall tank, I plan on putting it on plywood supported by bricks.

3) Plan is for a mixed tank, softies, LPS, SPS etc... I plan on two cross braces so I can use 3 400w metal halides so it doesn't block the light. Is two enough?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

later

newkie
11/07/2002, 05:46 PM
1. I would beleive .5 is enough. I'd be worried if they tried to use anything less.
2. Sounds like a pretty good price to me. I've been looking at a custom tank (48x24x28) and my quotes have been that much or more!
3. Are you sure you want to do a mixed tank? I really regret it. You might ask about this in antoher thread.

As for halides, you definitely want 3. Trust me. I have two on a 6' at the moment and its barely enough.

Stix
11/07/2002, 06:32 PM
Newkie, why do you regret a mixed tank?

newkie
11/07/2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Stix
Newkie, why do you regret a mixed tank?
Well I am primarily sps now, and I have constant headaches with mushrooms, green star polyps, zoanthids, etc. Also a lot of softies engage in chemical warfare to inhibit growth and worse. Basically its doesn't happen in nature, so you'll have to be prepared for extra work.

Stix
11/07/2002, 08:46 PM
Newkie, on the natural reefs, there are softy sections, and lps sections, and sps sections? That's so cool. I've never been to a real reef. Anyway, whay kind of chemical warfare are we talking about? Anyone had the experience? Does it kill everything in the tank?

sabodish
11/07/2002, 11:28 PM
noodle..lemme tell ya, i build tanks on the side and thats a great price on the tank that size....1/2" is enough provided it is properly braced....if its going to be euro braced, i would suggest at least 4" braces all around the perimeter. if braced fron to back, 4" braces on the ends and one 6-8" brace in the middle and you will be fine..
-mike

noodle
11/08/2002, 01:06 PM
Sabodish,
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into that more and see what they are suggesting. I also thought the price was pretty good. I have had acrylic quoted and it was about $600 dollars more and I'm leary of scratches and stuff.

Newkie,
I know mixed is a little more challenging. That is what I am currently doing. I haven't had too many problems thus far though. I have heard of the chemical warfare of leathers and sps but I have not seen a big problem. I have a tri-color that touches a yellow leather sometimes and they don't seem too bothered. I know it's hard to balance nutrient levels to have a perfect situation for everything but it has been ok. I would say my sps growth may be a bit slowed down, especially since currently I am not running a skimmer. System is a hybrid Jaubert....was the in thing at the time. The only problem I have had lately was a free floating muschroom landing on my hammer and killing a portion.:mad:

I would appreciate anyone elses opinions on the tank.

thanks.

baron_vonklyff
11/08/2002, 01:38 PM
I don't have any thing to add except on the lighting. I have heard a rule of thumb on lighting that I think is a good rule. You should have 1 MH bulb for every 2 feet of tank length. Since the tank will be 8 feet long and 2 feet wide, you will need 4 MHs. You could go with either the 400 watts or even 250s if you wanted to. 250s provide enough light for a 2 foot deep tank. Anything deeper and you would definitely want the 400s

noodle
11/11/2002, 01:04 PM
My plan is to use 3 400w halides since I'm going to have a mixed tank. I currently have 1 400w over a 4 ft tank and it works very well. I have all sps and clams in the center and softies towards the edge. I believe three over the 71/2 feet would work well. I know the tank will be 24 inches wide but I still believe this will be ok.

Any other suggestions?

thanks.