PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Dipping of Corals

J. Montgomery
12/04/2007, 10:35 AM
With the talk of QT tank and the big frag swap and raffle coming up, I thought I should bring up the issue of preventative dipping of new corals. The last thing you want is to introduce zoa eating nudis, monti eating nudis, flatworms, red bugs, zoa spiders, etc . . . into your established tank. None of those things are fun :(

So what does everyone in RRC do for dipping?

Personally, I tend to dip all corals in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (TMPCC) at 2x the recommended dosage for 15-20min. Though freshwater dips are recommended for zoas (ONLY), I haven't tried it yet b/c you have to adjust the pH.

Anything I should know about treating clams?

NbMaxx13
12/05/2007, 06:50 AM
This is a good question Josh ... I too dip my corals ... I have had clams before , but don't ever recall dipping them .... Anyone have any advice ?

cybrsufr
12/05/2007, 02:05 PM
I use Lugols at about 1 1/2 strength for 10 - 15 minutes, appears to work great. Think about switch to the TMPCC though, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

<font color="sienna">WreckDiver </font> </b>
<i><font size="1"><font color="teal">aka: CyBrSuFr</font> </font> </i>
<i><font size="1"><font color="red">Click the little red house for the latest tank pictures</font> </font> </i>

surfnvb7
12/05/2007, 02:25 PM
i've never dipped clams before....but i've heard of freshwater dipping them. don't know much about it though.

i've also seen people dip sps corals in TMPCC, but i personally would never do it as it looks like it almost kills them.

FWIW....there is no need to dip any corals that come from me. i am pest free (i.e. zoa nudi's, monti nudi's, AEFW, other kinds of flat worms, and red bugs). :)

i'm very anal and meticulous about checking for pests on corals going into my system.

phurst
12/05/2007, 03:46 PM
I've heard of FW dips for pinched mantle disease, but not otherwise.

J. Montgomery
12/05/2007, 04:11 PM
I've had very good luck with dipping all corals, including SPS, in TMPCC. Typically zoas don't open up for about a day afterwards, but thats no big deal.

J. Montgomery
12/05/2007, 04:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11320388#post11320388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7
FWIW....there is no need to dip any corals that come from me. i am pest free (i.e. zoa nudi's, monti nudi's, AEFW, other kinds of flat worms, and red bugs). :)
You better knock on wood ;) Those sound like famous last words.

surfnvb7
12/05/2007, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11321085#post11321085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
You better knock on wood ;) Those sound like famous last words.

eh, i've been saying that for over a year.....and yeah......karma got me last year over the winter....but i was receiving way too many packages from across country without dipping. i'm honestly surprised i *only* got red bugs.

but i have no intention of adding any corals/fish to my system any time soon. i'm pretty content with growing everything i have at this point.