PDA

View Full Version : Acclimation

jmart55
12/04/2007, 09:16 AM
"If the fish is in the bag for even a couple hours (not uncommon at good shops where customers will drive long distances to get livestock), the pH can drop significantly; Ive seen bags opened after being sealed up for shipping (lets say 8 hours... extreme, but you know) that have dropped from NSW levels to 6.5 and below"
This quote, part of a very good reply, was under the Test your LFS thread. This sentence made me think of a topic.
Acclimation, metabolic by-products will be produced in a shipping bag. The specimen can tolerate this as ammonia is in a less toxic ammonium form at the lower pH.
Certain fish suppliers have told me to simply float to acclimate for temperature then add the specimen. Others say to perform a slow drip acclimation. And there is also the practice of dry shipping corals, that I read about in Aquarium Corals by Borneman.
I just wanted to hear how others feel on this topic.

teamdulski
12/04/2007, 09:37 AM
I use the drip method, for my personal tank and the LFS I work at. On a major order(40-60 fish) with the drip method we usually only lose 0-2 fish.

tydtran
12/04/2007, 11:03 AM
Drip acclimation is the safest, gentlest way to acclimate your fish.