PDA

View Full Version : Summertime problems (college students can have it rough)

cabbage0709
12/03/2007, 01:41 PM
So my problem is that i have an internship up in Indianapolis during the summertime, and i just established my first reef tank this past August. I know everyone has faced this problem before, "Tank or job" Haha. My tank has been up and running fine since then and i believe that it will continue to do so. My biggest fear though is the summer, when i have to leave it for days or weeks at a time, 30 minutes from where i work and will be living. I go to school at IU in bloomington and work in indy. (Gyst of it)
Would anyone like to give me some advice on what i should do with my tank and everything during the summer? Should i start working on getting it automated or should i setup a temp tank where i will be living over the summer (my dads) Im worried and kind of confused on the procedures i should take in this situation, being a newly established reefer. Id like to know what other people have done, if they have been in this same situation also. Sorry if this all seems to have been just thrown together, but i suck at writing so yeah. Thanks everyone, and if youd like to see my tank let me know! Ill provide my specs as my profile isnt correct.

12g AP with 70w MH and dual actinics
Maxijet mods on both sides
Red sea prizm HOB skimmer

Stock-
2 true percs
GBTA
Sexy shrimp
hammer coral
Green / red / yellow zoas
GSP
couple frags of kenya tree
Candy Cane coral
Blue clam (Dont know species name)
Trumpet coral
And some chaeto stuck behind my display rock

My cc consists of about 6-8 blue dwarf hermits
3 astreas
3 nassarius
1 big a$$ snail that knocks everything over :P

Thanks everyone, i hope someone can make something of my problem

-Sven

jamiep
12/03/2007, 06:49 PM
I moved home from uni to set up my tank. Sometimes I think I'd be best moving back up as it takes me an hours travel to get home everyday but my tank keeps me at home!

With a tank that size I would probs just move the whole thing. Keep the water, transfer it all into a container and move it 30mins up the road and vola!