PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Tang

fishtail12
12/02/2007, 09:58 PM
Is/would a Powder Brown Tang be ok with a Purple Tang? Have 120gal and they both was same size. Bought a beautiful Powder Brown Tang and was told it would be fine with my Purple Tang. After 5 days Powder Brown beat up and died. Tried to catch either one to separate but just couldn't get either one. Feel so bad....

Wondering is I got mis-guided info or if this is just a learning experience...maybe both. How can I avoid this int he future?

Thanks

demonsp
12/02/2007, 10:16 PM
Whene adding stock always add least aggresive to most agressive. But whene adding 2 of the same species its best to add at the same time. It helps if you leave lights out a few days while they adjust.

BangkokMatt
12/02/2007, 10:17 PM
Same happened to me when I added a powder brown. I'm afraid you were mis-informed.

bangaii man
12/03/2007, 12:58 AM
I have a 5" purple tang and last weekend I added a 3" sailfin tang. the purple beat the snot out of it for about 2 hours, and I also couldn't separate them, then the sailfin found a nice corner to hide in. I was able to target feed the sailfin over the last week and his fins are nearly all repaired now, and tonight was the first time the two were both out in the open feeding at the same time, I think the sailfin might be a little hardier than the powder brown though, but any way sorry for your loss. My purple hasn't bothered other fish I have added for example a orange pearly scale butterfly, mandarin, cow fish, I think that you can probally add other fish as long as they are not the same shape and dark color as the purple tang, but who knows, this is one giant learning curve.

Racing1
12/03/2007, 05:30 AM
They powder blue is very aggressive>. I would not try 2 tangs of that size in a 120. they need alot of room...