PDA

View Full Version : carbon reactor ?

tabndust
12/02/2007, 04:33 PM
i have a 24" tall 4"wide acrylic tube im using for my carbon reactor. there is a hole near the top and a hole near the bottom. which end should i feed it from? do i want alot or alittle flow thru it?

lakee911
12/02/2007, 06:15 PM
If you want to be fluidizing then you should feet up through the bottom. This should prevent channeling in the media. You'll want some sort of bubble plate or other gizmo to distribute the flow over the whole cross section of the tube. You should have just enough flow for the surface to barely "boil." Too much and you'll grind up your media and it'll flow in to the tank.

Jason

CaveManNOhio
12/02/2007, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11299678#post11299678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lakee911
If you want to be fluidizing then you should feet up through the bottom. This should prevent channeling in the media. You'll want some sort of bubble plate or other gizmo to distribute the flow over the whole cross section of the tube. You should have just enough flow for the surface to barely "boil." Too much and you'll grind up your media and it'll flow in to the tank.

Jason

Yea, what he said feed from the bottom up. At a fairly slow rate.

RokleM
12/03/2007, 08:23 AM
As far as I'm aware, you don't want carbon to move much as even minor movement will grind up the material. You can pump basically as much water through the chamber as possible without moving the material or creating a leak. Rowa/Phosban and such, yes you want slight movement on the surface.

CaveManNOhio
12/03/2007, 09:04 AM
Well if you wrap it in a batting like I do I doubt there is much movement by the carbon. Plus it acts as a filter pad. I put a pressure gauge on my Canister so I know when it is getting to dirty.

RokleM
12/03/2007, 09:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11303215#post11303215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
I put a pressure gauge on my Canister so I know when it is getting to dirty.

That's a pretty cool idea!

lakee911
12/03/2007, 12:13 PM
How much headloss do you see between dirty and clean?

Jason