PDA

View Full Version : Best & most efficient MH ballast???

TheGrog
12/01/2007, 09:27 PM
So I am totally frustrated with trying to search for this info, so I thought I would ask.

I am going to be upgrading from my magnetic 250w MH ballast (single end mogul bulb) to a better ballast.

I am looking for something that will give good light output, AND be more electrically efficient than a magnetic ballast.

I am thinking of an electric ballast.

ANyone have any input on this???

sherm71tank
12/01/2007, 10:50 PM
Depends on what you mean by best! An HQI magnetic ballast will drive an HQI bulb better than an electronic but will use more electricity. Far as I know the Ic-Cap electronic ballasts are the best as far as the e ballasts go.

reef_doug
12/02/2007, 01:08 AM
Magnetic are the best for color. E-ballast are the best for efficiency. I have 3 Ice Cap running 250w HQI and they work fine.

I've heard Galaxy e-Ballast are pretty good also, but not quite as efficient.

Why are you changing? It may be worthwhile to stick with the magnetic consider the cost to change.

PaulErik
12/02/2007, 02:56 PM
You want a more efficient system. Ballast efficiency will vary by the lamp used. A ballast using less wattage does not equal a more efficient setup. You have to compare wattage and the light output. In some cases a magnetic ballast can be more efficient depending on the lamp.

You can check the efficiency by looking a Sanjay’s lighting site: http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com