PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) hiding?

falconut
11/30/2007, 06:12 PM
I added a Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) on Monday (11/26) and he was swimming in the open. Occationally the locals would peck at him. He wandered into the corner, where the pair of clowns own. They wacked at him and gave him some minor injuries. Unfortunetly they don't like anything in their corner and it always seams that a newcomer has to learn this the hard way. Once my MH's turned off he went into the sand, I didn't see him but I know that is what they do at night.

As of today, he still hasn't come out. My sand is argonite (sorry about spelling) between 1" - 2" thick. It has been undisturbed my me for about 1 year. It does get occationally sifted by my Pinkspot Goby, but usually only in certain areas.

My question is: How long can I expect him to remain in the sand? He's been in there for 4 days now. Any feed back from others experience with these fish would be appreciated.

This isn't mine, but it is what mine looks like:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/993/95001562.JPG

Thanks.

falconut
11/30/2007, 10:59 PM
Doesn't anybody have one? I would just like an idea of how long he might hide for.

mg426
12/01/2007, 12:20 AM
I have one. Its called a corsi wrasse, spends a lot of time in the sand.

jeweldamsel
12/01/2007, 01:21 AM
Mine hided for a while, a week may be. At first I only saw it after the light was out. Now it is out all the time.

Blown 346
12/01/2007, 01:22 AM
Its normal for new additions to hide until the feel comfortable with their new surroundings. Just give it time.

vanmo92
12/01/2007, 01:32 AM
Mine hid for a while, but it always jumped into the overflow, like 3 times a day, then I finaly moved him to his own tank. If you have an overflow, check it. Also whenever I am missing a fish, even if I suspect I am missing a fish, I look arrount on the floor arround the tank. Especialy since tose little guys sure can jump! But I wouldnt worry, they can hide pretty well for a long time, so I would not worry.

new_world_disor
12/01/2007, 07:59 AM
i have a cleaner wrasse that seems to hide for hours ( days ) on end sumtimes :)

coryjac0b
12/01/2007, 10:04 AM
i had one chased out of my tank, i put him back in, good thing i was there watching. I didn't see him for about 3 weeks, the one day he just came out and started swimming in the water column again.

falconut
12/01/2007, 05:06 PM
He finally came out and was eating today. A little skinny, but doing good. So, it appeared he just needed about 4 - 5 days.

45commando
12/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Good to hear.They sometimes are on a different time schedule & so have to adjust to your own tank's lighting period.Once they are settled in,you can almost set your watch by these fish.Mine goes into the sand the exact same time each night.