PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes?

jimmy08
11/30/2007, 05:19 PM
I was wondering does the temp in the tank that the new water is sitting in have to be heated or can it be what room temp is? Also does water changes bring down amonia levels?

Thanks

phenom5
11/30/2007, 05:24 PM
Also does water changes bring down amonia levels?

yes.

I was wondering does the temp in the tank that the new water is sitting in have to be heated?

yes...i think...if i understand you correctly.

jar05g
11/30/2007, 05:29 PM
Whenever you do a water change, it's best to have the water as close to your display tank as possible..meaning you want the temperature and pH to be as close as possible. If your tank has finished cycling, then you shouldn't have any Ammonia detectable. It would help if we knew some more about your tank....how long it's been up, water parameters, size..etc.

bertoni
11/30/2007, 06:26 PM
If the change is small (10% or so), then the water can be at a fairly low temperature, and that'll be fine. For very large changes, I'd get the water up to tank temperature, although a bit cooler isn't likely to cause trouble.

A 10% water change will bring ammonia down 10%, if the new water is ammonia-free.

reefergeorge
11/30/2007, 06:48 PM
I never heat my wc water. I do 10% weekly.
Just make sure to let it sit overnight so it is a least room temp.

jimmy08
12/01/2007, 09:24 AM
when you are taking 10% out of tank, do you put hose (Python) into the rock a little or do you just take the water and add the new water?

aquawolf
12/01/2007, 10:38 AM
I use a Python just to make the water change easier. It can also be used to clean areas where you may have less flow and see detritus beginning to build up.

jimmy08
12/01/2007, 04:49 PM
my tank is a 90 gallon saltwater tank. It is going to be a fish only tank. It has been up and running for a little over a month now. I just added two clown fish and a small anemone. I checked the amonia the next day and noticed a little increse in my amonia to about .25. Is this normal or should I do something?

Jimmy

burks
12/01/2007, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't add water unless it's at least room temperature. Just kind of a safety thing as to not stress the fish and corals. Personal preference, yours may vary.

As for your ammonia levels, unless you are cycling you shouldn't have any detachable ammonia. If you are cycling I wouldn't even do a water change and just top off the tank with freshwater.

If you are not cycling, then you need to find out why you have ammonia in the first place.

bertoni
12/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Ammonia can be toxic very quickly, and I'd try to learn why the ammonia is up, although that level is probably at the test kit limits.