PDA

View Full Version : phosphate reactor

redbug1
11/28/2007, 03:43 PM
Is there a reactor that will hold both carbon and rowaphos together? I am wanting to change form sump to reactor...

ganjero
11/28/2007, 04:41 PM
You can buy 2 reactors and run them in line with only one pump, thats what I have on my 150g system.

KenStanley
11/28/2007, 07:13 PM
I have an AquaC XP Plus Phosphate Reactor and I love it. The way I have it set up seems to be really great if you are running a calcium reactor also.

I have an H&S Skimmer and a Koralin 3002, my skimmer picks up refugeum water from a little plastic holding tank that has holes in it to allow it to fill with water. I drip my calcium reactor affluent into the plastic holding tank where I have a little power head that sends water to the skimmer.

The skimmer then returns the water back to my refugeum where I have another little plastic holding tank and in that tank I have another little power head that sends water to my Phosphate reactor. In the Phosphate reactor I run charcoal and RowaPhos.

The benefit that I'm getting this with this set up is at least twofold. Most people complain that when they run a calcium reactor their Ph runs low. That can be caused by excess CO2. My understanding is that excess CO2 will drive your Ph down and Ca Reactors have at least some unused CO2 remains in affluent. By picking up the affluent drip along with tank water and running it through the skimmer the agitation of the water releases the CO2. Then as a final step I pick up the water exiting the skimmer and run it through the Phosphate reactor where it goes through the Rowa and Carbon.

This works well for me. My Ph at its lowest will never really drop below 8.0. I keep my Ca a little high at 450 mg/L and my alk at a balanced 4.45 mequ/L. I've heard many people complain of 7.8s and 7.9s when running a Ca Reactor. My phosphates have remained undetectable.

If you're having a low ph problem while using a Ca Reactor you may find that a similar configuration solves your problem.

Hopefully someone will get some use out of this.

USC-fan
11/28/2007, 07:55 PM
Just get a TLF phosban reactor and put both carbon and phosphate remover in the same reactor. You will just have to change it more often because the carbon doesn't last long.

kdblove_99
11/30/2007, 01:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11273425#post11273425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
You can buy 2 reactors and run them in line with only one pump, thats what I have on my 150g system.

I would run it this way also

brian10956
11/30/2007, 02:42 PM
I have 2 TLF 150 reactors one with carbon one with phosban. I have one Mini Jet 606 hooked up to a y connection then to ball valves as the different media requires different flow rates.