PDA

View Full Version : LR Needed

teog
11/05/2002, 10:18 PM
Does anyone have live rock that they want to sell? Let me know please I need about 100lbs or so. My email is teog1@aol.com

Thanks

Sir Knight
11/06/2002, 12:32 AM
Teo,
If no one has any Live rock locally
Here is a link to some cheap live rock that is fully cured.
Opt for airport shipping. It will save you $$$.
The Marshall island rock is 1.99 lb

http://home.flash.net/~rarefish/roktext.htm

Hope this helps

Joe W.

Pikelet
11/07/2002, 09:42 PM
If you decide to go for the $1.99 Marshall Island deal, I would be interested in splitting a shipment with you. I only need about 15lbs for my 10g but I would chip in for some of the freight.

PM me if you're interested. BTW I live/work close to Sanford airport so that might be handy if you need to get it picked up and thrown into a rubbermaid for curing.

Oops ..... that's for base rock ........ better off paying $2.99 I suspect.

Mako
11/08/2002, 03:05 PM
You would be better off going with Rocky over at Coralfragz (http://www.coralfragz.com). He has lots of the Walt Smith rock (fiji, aquacultured, kaleni etc) and his prices are the best in the area. Heck, if you don't mind driving for a couple of hours you can hand pick your own. If not, give em a call...he comes to the club meetings reguraly and would bring it to you.

FWIW

Pikelet
11/08/2002, 03:55 PM
I wasn't particularly impressed with the Walt Smith Fiji rock I bought for my 29g tank. Nice shapes but it was pretty bland stuff in terms of interesting life. Sure, there were no mantis shrimp or hairy crabs with it but there wasn't anything in the way of corals on it either. Plenty of pest macros too.

Mr Neutron
11/08/2002, 05:46 PM
Since we're talking LR I have about 5 or 6 pieces in my systems that I no longer have room for. They are all nicely encrusted with purple coralline and I guess they weigh about 4-5lbs each, give or take. One has lots of xenia growing on it. Don't ask me what island they came from but they're good quality. ;)

PM or email if interested.

Mako
11/09/2002, 11:56 AM
Pikelet - Well, I guess it all depends on who you are getting the rock from. Walt Smith has about 7 different varities of rock and most that I have seen have been very nice. Of course, curing is an important aspect in determining how much life comes on the rock. Heck, I believe WS rock is all Harbor Aquatics takes in and most everybody raves about their rock. Go figure.

Pikelet
11/09/2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mako
Walt Smith has about 7 different varities of rock and most that I have seen have been very nice. Of course, curing is an important aspect in determining how much life comes on the rock. Go figure.

I bought my Walt Smith premium Fiji through Dr Mac. It was sold as uncured. It was well cared for once it arrived and was cured with plenty of flow, light and WC's in my tank. I don't think it was a curing issue at all. There just wasn't much on my 45 lbs from the day I received it other than massive amounts of sargassum.

As a matter of fact, I don't know of anyone in the nanoreef world who has found much of interest on it either so it appears that I'm not the only one somewhat disappointed in what's coming out of their holding tanks these days.

Go figure.