PDA

View Full Version : New Current USA Solana Set up

rmcgookey
11/26/2007, 08:08 PM
Hello, I’m new to reef central and I’m excited to join the community. I’ve just got back into the hobby after being out of it for 4 years. The last tank I had was a Clear-For-Life 12 gallon Acrylic tank with built in filter. At the time, nanos weren’t nearly as popular. I look forward to sharing my progress with you and giving/receiving tips and advice. I’ve read some threads from other recent Solana users and I’m looking forward to adding to the online content.

Here are the specs on my tank so far:
Equipment:
-34 gallon Current USA Solana
-Stand made for Solana
-150w 14K SunPod bracketed over tank
-stock skimmer
-stock return pump
-Korilia 1 on left side
-150W Hydor heater (need to return it, calibrated terribly)
-About to add JBJ ATO with Aqualifter pump and Prime 1/15HP Chiller

Other:
-All distilled water from Kroger
-Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt
-Caribsea Araq-alive Reef Sand (40 lbs)
-45-50 lbs cured Live Rock (Aquacultured, Tonga, and Fiji)
-Chemi Pure Elite 5 oz. (20g capacity bag)
-Purigen (100g capacity bag)
-stock micro bio balls in mesh bags

Overall, I’m very pleased with this tank. The cube rimless braceless design looks great and unlike most all-in-one tanks. I went with the SunPod instead of the “disco ball” overhanging light. I contacted Current USA and they plan to release a canopy for this tank in the spring. I hope the SunPod fixture can be mounted into it in case I decide to go with a canopy.

Pros:
-Adequate sump space (4.5” deep) I may put in a small refugium in the biological/chemical filtration chamber and shine a small light in from behind the tank
-Seems to be a well designed skimmer. (too early to see how productive it is) Not too many tiny bubbles in the tank and I assume those I see will be eliminated as the skimmer breaks in.
-400 gph included return pump provides adequate flow
-Stand has a very handy pull out drawer on top with smoked glass insert in door

Cons:
-Skimmer is a little loud –air intake hose fizzes (but most skimmers I’ve played with in the past have been noisy) Any mod ideas appreciated. Air tube is bigger than standard airline.
-Glass top is thin and could break easily if mishandled. I would like to have an acrylic piece made to replace it.
-Stand included does not have holes drilled in the back to run cables in/out.

Progress:
-Water was added and mixed on Friday 11/23, Live Rock added yesterday 11/25
-It will be interesting to see how much die off I get on the rock. About ½ of it was covered in salt water in buckets for transport home from LFS. I made a stupid mistake and locked my keys in my trunk as I was loading the car up and had to wait an hour or so for my girlfriend to show up with a spare. Meanwhile it was around 40-50 degrees outside and the rocks/water definitely came down in temp.
-I’m hoping for a cycle time of under 1 week since I started with fully cured rock.

Questions:
1) My Korilia 1 is loud. It makes a vibrating noise that I can’t seem to get rid of. I’ve fiddled with it extensively. Are the Tunze nano streams equally as loud? If not, I need to replace.
2) pH is around 7.8-8.0 depending on the test kit. I didn’t anticipate it registering this low but I’ve never used CaribSea Arag-alive before and not sure how much it contributes to proper pH. Any tips on getting pH over 8.0? I am not familiar with the new calcium additives because I’ve been out of the hobby for a while. It seems like there’s a lot of new stuff out.
3) It appears that there is a slight amount of Phosphate in the water! (Using low range phosphate test kit in Instant Ocean Reef Master kit) I can’t figure out why. Will the Chemi-Pure Elite be enough to bring it down? (20g capacity bag)
4) Please provide advice on new additives on the market. I have read a little about new calcium additives and other stuff (e.g., Purple Up) and would love to hear from you on successful additives, trace elements, feeding, etc.. I decided on the Chemi Pure and Purigen based on other nano reefer postings.
6) I haven’t added activated carbon yet, should I? I’ve always added it from the get-go in the past.

Thanks so much and I look forward to sharing my progress.

Water Parameters: After 1 day of live rock
Temp: 79-81 degrees
Salt: 1.023
pH: 7.8-8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 – Instant Ocean Reef Master Test (Tetra test kit says around 12.5)
Phosphate: .2-.4 mg/L

Water was added and mixed on Friday 11/23, Live Rock added yesterday 11/25

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/rmcgookey/DSC02759.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/rmcgookey/DSC02760.jpg

SaltwaterChris
11/27/2007, 06:57 PM
Looks like a good start.I really like the way those tanks look I wish I knew about them before I bought mine.You might want to watch your tep with leaving the top on.As for additives I'm not to sure yet ether I'm getting ready to start a nano my self, a little different than a big tank.One thing that I've learned is just take your time.:D

Agu
11/27/2007, 07:38 PM
1) Don't know, never used either powerhead

2)Don't worry about it yet, the tank is new ( see #4)

3)Again don't sweat it yet

4) I only drip kalk as makeup water. For a nano that and waterchanges is easier than adding stuff and testing for it.

5 ) ?

6) I'm not a fan of heavy cycles or ammonia spikes, I'd recommend you add carbon now.

Tank looks good :thumbsup: , but I'm not a fan of a lot of rock in a nano. It eats up too much space. If it were my tank what appears to be the top three pieces of rock would be removed.

jmo,

rmcgookey
11/28/2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks Agu,

good points. I actually removed some of the rock and returned to the LFS. I may consider removing some more once i begin stocking the tank.

I have purigen and chemipure elite in there. I'm regretting putting that in and consdering removing it because chemical filtration slows down the cycle.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?