PDA

View Full Version : Help with KH and CA

tbehara
11/25/2007, 06:29 PM
Ok finaly started testing for KH and CA........I am using Aqua expert line test for both. I bought them at phishys today so I know they are/should be good . I was told by them that my CA should be between 380-450 mg/lt and my KH shoudl be 9-11 dkh.
My test resutls are reading CA@525 and KH@7.
WHat do I need to do to bring these in line? I do have Kalkwasser Mix (Not currently using) but as I understand it it will only effect my CA level wich is allready to high (Or am I wrong about that.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,
Travis

SDguy
11/25/2007, 06:43 PM
The sticky at the top of this forum has a wealth of imformation regarding kalk, alk, ca, etc.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

Specifically, kalk will raise both ca and alk, so that won't work for your situation:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Here's some more info that may help:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

Basically, you want to raise your alk slowly. This will more than likely, in turn, lower your ca somewhat as well.

hth

tbehara
11/26/2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info!!!! I did notice however all the calculators out there read CA as PPM. My test kit reads in mg/lt. Are they the same, or is there a conversion?

Travis

capn_hylinur
11/26/2007, 09:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11252563#post11252563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbehara
Ok finaly started testing for KH and CA........I am using Aqua expert line test for both. I bought them at phishys today so I know they are/should be good . I was told by them that my CA should be between 380-450 mg/lt and my KH shoudl be 9-11 dkh.
My test resutls are reading CA@525 and KH@7.
WHat do I need to do to bring these in line? I do have Kalkwasser Mix (Not currently using) but as I understand it it will only effect my CA level wich is allready to high (Or am I wrong about that.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,
Travis

I don't really understand that calcium level.

Before adjusting either of these you need to know your magnesium level--it allows for a higher level of calcium to be maintained and your pH---this will impact on what you use to bring up your alk level.

tbehara
11/26/2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks,
I will go see about getting a Mag test kit. Does anyone have a brand that they would suggest?
FYI, Did another test this morning and my KH moved fro 7 to 8 and my CA from 525 to 500. If I am thinking right (Which is not always the case) my system used 25 mg/lt CA between tests which also caused the KH to rise.

Thanks for all your help guys I do really appreciate it!!!!!!

bmk
11/26/2007, 10:19 AM
Hi
I use Salifert for all my test kits. I have a similar imbalance but my alkalinity is high @13.5dkh and my calcium is low @360 and MG @1200

Barry

Spuds725
11/26/2007, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11256276#post11256276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbehara
Thanks,
I will go see about getting a Mag test kit. Does anyone have a brand that they would suggest?
FYI, Did another test this morning and my KH moved fro 7 to 8 and my CA from 525 to 500. If I am thinking right (Which is not always the case) my system used 25 mg/lt CA between tests which also caused the KH to rise.

Thanks for all your help guys I do really appreciate it!!!!!!

Did you dose anything?? (for alkalinity)

If not...

It doesn't work that way-- your tank will consume calcium and carbonate (alkalinity) together-- shells, coral skeleton, coraline algae are all made up primarily of calcium carbonate... if one is released (this is possible if you have a very low pH transient) the other will be released also.

-- it is rare (I won't say impossible) for one to raise and the other to lower-- more then likely its testing error-- not that you necessarily made a mistake with the kits, just that there is a certain amount of uncertainty with the results of any test kit-- depends on the test resolution also (how low it goes)-- I also like salifert due to its fine resolution.

You can dose up your alkalinity some with a simple DIY supplement made from baking soda (not baking powder)-- careful though, a little goes a long way and dosing baking soda by it self can cause your pH to drop initially...

and to go back a few posts... mg/liter is the same as parts per million.

tbehara
11/26/2007, 12:24 PM
No I haven't dosed anything. I am just trying to determine a base line. I think you maybe right in saying it was just a difference in the testing. I have found these test kits leave allot of room or error (Subjective).
I went to find a Mag test and no one has them (Went to pet co and Jacks) I know phishys has it but unfortunately not open today.

Travis

capn_hylinur
11/26/2007, 01:59 PM
if you want a base line and stability I would opt for B-ionics Two part system. Its a very easy way to keep stability and gets out of the seesaw back in forth you can get in with dosing the parameters individully.

bertoni
11/26/2007, 05:19 PM
For hobbyist purposes, mg/L and ppm are identical. The difference is about 2%. I agree that the rise in dKH and drop in calcium might be a testing issue. In general, dKH and calcium should drop together, about 2.8 dKH per 20 ppm of calcium.

I'd just stop dosing any calcium and use baking soda to keep the alkalinity between 7-11 dKH. It'll take some daily alkalinity measurements to get a clear trend line on the parameters.

I agree that a 2-part like B-Ionic is a good way to get started.

tbehara
11/26/2007, 10:46 PM
Is using Kent Marine Kalkwasser Mix considered a "Balanced" additive? I have read some articles that seem to say it is. I just took another test this evening and the ca is at 450 and KH is stable at 7 dKH. I believe my 2nd test of the KH was flawed on my part. But both are now within the "Acceptable range".
Something I failed to mention (and truthfully didn't realize what I had done) was the 1st test was taken approximately 5hrs after a 20gal water change. I just started using phishy's premixed water and I believe they use Kent salt. Could this explain the initially high CA levels?
I still have not tested for Mag as suggested. I will test again tomorrow and see where everything falls.

Thanks again for all the help and patience guys this forum is the best!!!!!!!!!!

bertoni
11/27/2007, 07:39 PM
Kalk is a balanced additive, so it should be fine. The parameters will drift a bit over time, requiring some baking soda or calcium for correction, but that usually takes a few months, at least.

I don't know how high in calcium the Kent salt is, but I'd suspect a testing problem, since calcium wouldn't drop without taking a lot of alkalinity with it.