PDA

View Full Version : Chamber setup in AP12

douglam
11/24/2007, 06:05 PM
i want to remove the bio balls and add a fuge since that seems to be the general consensus. i am also thinking about removing the sponge since i have floss on top of it anyway so i dont think its doing very much for me. i dont think im going to replace the ceramic rings with rubble though since no one can really say whether one is better than the other. Here is my plan let me know what you think.

Chamber 1:Floss and Ceramic
Chamber 2: Fuge
Chamber 3: Purigen and Phosguard (only if still needed after adding fuge)
Chamber 4: Heater and Pump

How does this sound? do i need to remove the bioballs slowly or can i just take them out? is there any reason to replace the ceramic with rubble or do that do about the same thing? is there anything else i should have in the chambers to keep it stable? Do i need to do water changes as often with the fuge keeping the nitrates down, atleast i hope it will?

Mini Me6
11/25/2007, 12:17 AM
The MILLION DOLLAR question would be, what kind of tank are you planning?? Reef, FWLR or SWF only??

I also have an AP12. I don't use the sponge nor the bioballs. I have a Nano skimmer and use carbon every 7 days with water changes.

Pls expand on what type of tank you're goping to create.

pashazero
11/25/2007, 11:20 AM
you put new carbon in every 7 days?

douglam
11/25/2007, 11:23 AM
i am planning a reef tank. i currently have a clown, a firefish, a cleaner shrimp, and a peppermint shrimp. There are also a few zoos, a xenia, some gsp, and a few mushrooms.

But i just ordered some chaeto so im figuring out how im going to rearrange my chambers so that i can have a fuge in one of the back chambers

douglam
11/25/2007, 05:19 PM
No opinions?

bad santa
11/25/2007, 05:45 PM
take out the ceramic rings. I just pulled mines all out together. Run carbon,purigen in one chamber. Then put your chaeto in the other chamber with a fuge light in the back of it. You can go to Nanotuners and buy their fuge light or DIY from parts from HD for about $15. Thats what i did and its working just fine.

douglam
11/25/2007, 10:46 PM
i was thinking that i should have the purigen after the chaeto so that it wouldnt absorb the nitrates before it got to the chaeto. if it dosent matter i may do this setup instead

Chamber 1- floss and sponge
Chamber 2- Ceramic rings and purigen
Chamber 3- fuge
Chamber 4- pump and heater

Or

Chamber 1- floss and rings
Chamber 2- fuge
Chamber 3 - empty

bad santa
11/26/2007, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11254348#post11254348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by douglam

Chamber 1- floss (take out the sponge) & a bag of carbon
Chamber 2- purigen (take out the ceramic rings)
Chamber 3- fuge

you should be good with this set up...IMO

douglam
11/26/2007, 02:17 PM
i dont really want to run the carbon because i dont want to have to change it every couple of weeks, and the purigen seems to be doing a good job + i can regenerate it.

Malenurse
11/26/2007, 09:58 PM
Why do you want to use ceramic rings or any other sort of bio-filtration media?

douglam
11/27/2007, 06:49 PM
because i want to make sure that i have enough bacteria in my tank... i see your point i probably really dont need them but they make me comfortable, i guess. i will more highly consider taking them out if a couple of months when my tank is more established unless someone can give me some good reasons to take them out... and can suggest how i should set up my chambers.