PDA

View Full Version : Nano Help

kar93
11/24/2007, 01:44 PM
I dont have any experienc with nano reefs but I currently have a 15gal freshwater tank that im am going to switch to a Nano (coral only maybe a couple of clowns and a firefish or maybe a couple of seahorses). What sort of lighting would i need, would 2 of these be ok

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Free-Angle-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-White-Light-Lamp-11W_W0QQitemZ270189702990QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also im thinking of just doing 20% water changes a week and not using filter would this be ok as it will probably be coral only?

Will i need a skimmer?

Will i need live rock or would just ocean rock be ok?

phenom5
11/24/2007, 02:48 PM
What sort of lighting would i need, would 2 of these be ok

those don't look to be enough for a reef tank.

best option-150W MH
2nd best option-70W MH
3rd best option-decent T5 setup (4 bulb w/ individual reflectors)
4th best option-decent PC setup

also im thinking of just doing 20% water changes a week and not using filter would this be ok as it will probably be coral only?

Will i need a skimmer?

no skimmer needed, weekly 20% WC's should be fine.

Will i need live rock or would just ocean rock be ok?

live rock.

:thumbsup:

kar93
11/24/2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks Phenom would this light fixture be enough:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60cm-aluminium-shelled-4-x-t5-blue-and-white-luminaire_W0QQitemZ180161212605QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

phenom5
11/24/2007, 04:40 PM
That should work, but it would limit what type of corals you could keep.

i'd look for a T5 setup that has individual reflectors for each bulb, and maybe look for something with a little higher output. 4x24W would be better.

kar93
11/24/2007, 05:25 PM
yeah, there is some 24w bulbs for sale for that size somewer on ebay. what sort of corals do you think i could keep

kar93
11/24/2007, 05:26 PM
what about a crocea or tridacna Clam?

InLimbo87
11/24/2007, 05:31 PM
Softies/LPS. Clams need very strong lighting and a mature, stable tank.

kar93
11/24/2007, 06:21 PM
what about SPS

Mini Me6
11/25/2007, 12:38 AM
As I read this thread, I wonder if this will be a recipe to failure.:eek:

"{coral only maybe a couple of clowns and a fire fish or maybe a couple of seahorses}".

Dude, LIGHING is your least priority. Let me try to shine a liitle LIGHT the subject.

1) Coral and Seahorses don't mix due to the stronge current flow required for coral.
2) Unless ur a merchant or supplier, you may only successfully keep only ONE clown fish in a 15g tank.
3) Seahorses are sensitive fish. Adding corral or clowns will disrupt their natural environment.

Pls do more research before you decide on your setup. Just my opinion. Good luck on your setup.

kar93
11/25/2007, 06:44 AM
I am doing loads of research before i put anything in the tank. Why only one clown though?

phenom5
11/25/2007, 12:17 PM
Why only one clown though?

I've been focusing on setup, and haven't touched stocking yet.

I'm not exactly sure what being a vendor has to do with anything, but I would say you would be good with 2 small fish. A clown and a firefish would probably be okay, or a pair of clowns would probably work also. Be careful though, some clowns get to be on the bigger size, for a 15g at least. And some species of clowns can get to be pretty aggressive, and doing multiple clowns can be tricky as well. I would definitely add both clowns at the same time, if you're going to add 2. The more fish you add, the more difficult it becomes to keep your water parameters good. All that said, I think you'll be okay with 2 fish in a 15g.

Seahorses are very difficult to keep. They require a dedicated tank, and a fair amount of experience. I wouldn't add seahorses to a reef tank.

what about SPS

With a good quality T5 setup, you may be able to keep some SPS. Montipora are fairly tolerant of lower light conditions. If you wanted to do SPS I would start out with a Monti cap or digitata, see how those do and go from there. However, I would not add SPS until the tank has been setup & cycled for at least 6 mos. The thing with SPS is that lighting is only a small component to successfully keeping them. IMO, the factors in keeping SPS, in order of importance, are something like this...

1. Good, stable water quality

2. Lighting & flow.

kar93
11/25/2007, 12:37 PM
if anyfish at all i was only going to put 2 in there anyway

reefman13
11/25/2007, 07:19 PM
That was a very aggresive comment that was made earlier. But I do have to agree with some of the underlying points that were made.
>1. Sea horses and reef do not mix.
>2. You would be ABSOLUTELY fine with a pair of clowns in a 15g. (I have a pair in a ~9/10)
>3. Even with the pair in there you might be able to do a small gobie
>4. Lighting I agree with what phenom5 has said. If clams are something you want to do, high-output (HO) T5 is what you are going to need to do. This also pertains to SPS corals.

Curve50880
11/25/2007, 08:34 PM
Yea i agree with everyone for the most part. I have T5s and I can keep montipora without a problem but I dont think acropora or a clam would do well under the T5s. Benefit of the T5s is that they hardly raise the temperature of the water as where sometimes MH can.

As for stocking...Pair of percula clowns would be a good choice in my opinion. Wouldnt really add anything else but you might be able to get away with something small.

P.S. No sea horses!!!

puckbs
11/25/2007, 08:51 PM
just curious if anyone talking against seahorses has ever kept any?

phenom5
11/25/2007, 08:54 PM
just curious if anyone talking against seahorses has ever kept any?

that's actually a pretty good point. I should have mentioned the fact that I have absolutely no, zip, zilch, nada experience with seahorses. those comments that I made are based largely on hearsay, and rumors...or stuff I've read on RC. :D

reefman13
11/25/2007, 09:53 PM
Agreed, but I have kept a pipefish;)

puckbs
11/25/2007, 09:57 PM
see now that i appreciate!!! i truly meant nothing demeaning by that question, just proving a point for you.

Just to clarify, i do not think you should have seahorses...definitely not yet. I'm not particularly a big fan of the idea of a pair of clowns in a 15 either.

Keep doing research like you're doing. Keep asking questions. Listen to everything, but make up your own mind.