PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef mesh mod.... oops

gastone
11/20/2007, 08:28 PM
Just mesh modded my old ER 8-1 that I picked up from my buddy a few years ago. I'm not sure if he purchased new or used. Anyway, didn't pay attention to the pump until after I modded the needle wheel. Come to find out it's a Sedra 9000. Now it's overflowing the collection cup like crazy. No amount of tweaking seems to work. Checked ER's site and this pump was only used on 12-4 and larger bodies.

I used three layer of enkamat for the mod, would removing one (or two) help?

Thanks.

Garrett.

dsquared
11/21/2007, 12:04 AM
Have you dropped the skimmers water level yet?
Dave

gastone
11/21/2007, 08:12 AM
Just enough to keep it from overflowing the collection cup. Still can't dial it in though.

MikeTV1
11/21/2007, 08:27 AM
Are you getting good bubbles? If so, Maybe the recirc mod would work to let you dial in the height and still keep the bubble action.

gastone
11/21/2007, 09:17 AM
Mike, yeah, I was just thinking that I'll have to recirc it now. Gotta hunt down some plans. What would you recommend for a feed pump? I'm sure I've got some maxijets or the like laying around.

Garrett.

RandyStacyE
11/21/2007, 11:10 AM
The 9000 is a monster of a pump. With the mesh mod and recirced it may still blow the lid off of the skimmer.

As for an MJ for feed ... just keep in mind that you want 1 to 1.5 x the total system volume per hour going through the skimmer.

I would be reluctant to remove layers of mesh. Recirc would be the way to go, I just hope the pump is not too big. It would be a shame to cut into such a rock solid skimmer to find that the pump's not gonna work for ya.

I'm sure more knowledgeable skimmer guys will chime in with their experiences doing something similar.

chewie
11/21/2007, 11:17 AM
offer up a trade. Trade your 9000 for a 5000. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to trade.