PDA

View Full Version : help me plan an upgrade!

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 05:37 PM
after about 8 months of being in the hobby I have decided to upgrade my current 20g long w/ 29g fuge into a drilled 40br.

I have learned a lot in 8 months, but still need lots of help. this will be my largest tank ever, and I am very excited at that. as I said before I will be drilling it, and will also be making my first DIY stand. I am planning to use my old 20g long as the sump/fuge and need some help w/ building it, any good places w/ 20g long sump/ fuge plans?

as for the stand I am planning on using 2 by 4s to make a stand slightly larger then needed. I was thinking 40" long by 20" wide by 36" high, and skinning it w/ 3/4" plywood. I was thinking a brace every 20" on the top and bottom, and have a solid plywood top over that, have a brace every 12" on the back, and have a middle brace on the front. anything Im missing?

for the other equipment I was thinking 1 1/2" hole drilled in the middle of the tank w/ a PVC cover over it, and I also will still need a return pump, keep in mind that I am going to be keeping LPS and softys only, but in the future I am planning to go w/ a few SPS, and also will be using a koralia 1 and 2, I was thinking a mag 5 or a mag 7. the skimmer will be coralife super skimmer rated for a 65g aquarium (its what I have, may eventually get a better one), and lighting will be from 4X 40 watt 24" VHOs and 1 30" 65 watt PC (I will eventually upgrade lighting, but for now thats what I will use).

now, the best part. stocking. I will be keeping a pair of occelaris clowns for sure (already have a female), and also plan on a collection of smaller wrasses (thinking 3-5, depending on size, disposition, ect), as well as either several smaller fish, or 1 interesting larger fish (ideas? cant eat the clowns or be too aggressive towards wrasses). as for inverts, depends on what I decide for the last fish. I will at least have a cleanup crew and lots of corals, and may get some interesting shrimp.

thanks in advance!

reefman13
11/20/2007, 05:43 PM
I would def. advise against any more than ONE wrasse in that size tank.

In regards to diagrams and stuff, I have a few images of my old 40bdr plan that I will rustle up.

Otherwise you are looking pretty good.

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 06:27 PM
thanks!

so I am planning on the mag 7 return.

also, I was planning on having 90-100 lbs of rock throughout the whole system, is that a good amount? I was planning to stock on the heavy side fish wise, so should I get more?

!wrass!
11/20/2007, 07:18 PM
While you are drilling, you may want to do two drains. One for primary and one for backup in case the first gets clogged. You will want surface skimming on your drain and a way to quiet it. Drilled returns are also nice.

The ¾ inch plywood skin is overkill, but many use it. Leave enough room between bracing to get the sump in and out. Make sure the top is level and flat and your good.

I have been playing around with a Mag7. To be honest, I am disappointed in the output vs. heat. It may just be me.

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 07:44 PM
thanks for the input. because this is my first DIY stand (and I will also be building a matching canopy) I would rather go overkill then not put enough bracing and thick enough plywood. I was thinking maybe 2 front braces, each 10" from the sides and not have a middle brace, bad idea?

reefman13
11/20/2007, 07:45 PM
I would plan 50/60lbs of rock for the display and a MAX of 15lbs for the sump. 100 is serious overkill, and no matter how much filtration you have, it the amount of water you have for fish to swim in. And unless you have a known pair of Wrasses, most will fight each other to the death.....

I couldn't find those diagrams, but I will try to recreate them.....

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 09:45 PM
I think I have my final plan.

for rock I am planning to have 1-15 lbs in the fuge, along w/ 55-60 lbs in the display. I was planning to get another 20-30 lbs of dry base rock from the LFS to add to the ~40lbs I have now.

for the sump/fuge I will have an 8" long be 12" deep sump area and a 24" by 12" fuge area, however in the beck corner I am planning on having a 6"X6" section for the return, the baffles will be made of eggcrate, w/ something smaller over that to keep fish and CUC critters that make it into the sump out (I think its called electrical mesh, that black plastic mesh stuff).

I am still brainstorming for stocking.

reefman13
11/20/2007, 09:52 PM
I am working on the diagram still. I will post it here and you can make whatever alterations you want to it.

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 11:20 PM
I am currently thinking about maybe doing a 50g display tank, and the 20g sump/fuge.

for stocking I am thinking
pair of ocellaris clowns
1 flame angel
1 smaller wrasse
1 larger fish (any ideas? I would like a fish that has personality, also a less aggressive fish would be nice.)

I was wondering if any of the smaller tangs (kole or yellow) might be okay in the 50g? what about a opperband butterfly? keep in ming their will be medium-high flow in the tank.

reefman13
11/21/2007, 06:29 AM
CB def. not they are very finikey (sp?) eaters and once they have devistated the apastia population, they will start to starve...

Moonstream
11/21/2007, 08:02 AM
what about the tangs? if i found a CBB that ate, would they be able to live in the tank?