PDA

View Full Version : Weston vs. Bi-Partus Leopard Wrasse

westcoastreef
11/19/2007, 11:55 AM
So I bought one of these a month 5 weeks ago. A beautiful specimen, Bright red and blue, he looked amazing. So I put him in the tank and down he went. Straight into the sand, and like that..........he was gone. After that investment I gave up on fish. You buy one and they just disappear, or eat your coral, or jump out. I would go to the LFS and curse the fish...stupid fish...they just disappear. So two mornings ago as I sat in front of the unlit tank drinking my morning coffee, My lights flickered a bit and turned on. I was staring at a ghost! There was my Leopard wrasse swimming around in front of me. I screamed and my girlfriend came running, I told you it was a cool looking fish...she had never seen it. So I have restored faith in fish....for now. I guess they are ok, although I have not seen him since, I made it a point to pull out my cell phone and start taking video.....HA! At least I have piece of mind he is there.

phurst
11/19/2007, 02:03 PM
My mandarin went MIA for a full 3 months. I saw him the day after I put him in the tank, then not a glimpse for 3 months. One day I came down stairs and there he was. Now he's out all the time.

So, can we now say Weston can't find his wrasse with both hands?

Neptune777
11/19/2007, 02:12 PM
Weston,
That's a good story. I bet you were pleasantly surprised to finally see the little guy...I would have considered him long dead considering how sensitive Leopard wrasses are when acclimating.

LB
11/19/2007, 03:39 PM
I'm glad yours is doing good!Mine was fighting for food and eating like a horse for about 2 weeks until a ich outbreak and although he only had a few spots of ich I noticed his fins were a little ragged and the next day gone.Maybe he got something bacterial because of the stress.He never even stopped eating but thats the hobby I guess.Great fish and I'll definantly try again after the new tank is up and runnin for a while.

killagoby
11/19/2007, 04:08 PM
I get anexity every time my fish go a hiding.

aqua11878
11/19/2007, 07:16 PM
Congrats on the leopard wrass...you can keep anything now!

samdaman316
11/19/2007, 09:44 PM
My first one went straight for the sand. 24 hours later I noticed a few shrimp and a crab paying their respects. My second one eats like a pig and swims all day.

cybrsufr
11/20/2007, 12:24 AM
My first Leopard (normal brown leopard) died after 2 days and I gave up on them for about 5 months, then the LFS got in a bunch of Bipartis at a great price so I tried again, 2 days later he was toast, I decided one more and he disappeared into the sand almost immediately after acclimation, but surprizing enough he was out the next morning at feeding time and has been a pig ever since. My most evasive fish was my Blackcap Basslet. It disappeared when I put in in the tank and never saw it again for almost 2 months and now he stays in the front of the tank happily swimming around and coming all the way to the top of the tank at feedings. So the moral is, unless you see a crispy critter or have hermits dragging a fresh corpse around, the fish is probably still in there and just staying hid. A buddy of mine had a candy stripe or barber pole pistol ship disappear for three years and when he caught his sump on fire he brought his corals and livestock over to use my QT as a holding tanks until he got it back together and low and behold his pistol shrimp was still there alive and kicking. Take it from a diver and underwater photographer, Our little pets are excellent hiders and if they don't want to be seen they can easily outsmart us stupid humans :lol:

<font color="sienna">WreckDiver </font> </b>
<i><font size="1"><font color="teal">aka: CyBrSuFr</font> </font> </i>

westcoastreef
11/20/2007, 11:04 AM
My only problems are ever with fish, who ever said corals were hard is crazy....fish drive me nuts, coral just grows, or dies.