PDA

View Full Version : attach star polyps to a vertical face

pashazero
11/19/2007, 12:28 AM
I have a 12 g aquapod with a 70 mhi, and just bought some star polyps as my first coral.

a. I want to attach the polyps to a verical face on a rock..(any negatives)

b. what would be the best adhesive to do that( i heard you can get something from homedepot that would do the trick)

c. would it be okay to cut each indivdual polyp and glue them to the rock

sir_dudeguy
11/19/2007, 12:34 AM
They would be perfectly fine like that. Many people grow them on the back glass (or sides for that matter) and they grow just fine.

I'd just go to walmart and get a bit of Crazy Glue. Some say the gel style works best but i've never tried that stuff so i dunno... Plain Krazy glue works for me.

Anyways, just take the rock in question out of the tank and dry off the part you want it on (blow on it, use a paper towel, whatever...just so its not soaked). And then do the same to the back of the gsp...then put the glue on, hold it on the rock for like....20 seconds, and then put it back in the tank. The glue should cure immediately when put back in the water. I've never had any problems w/it harming the tank and i've used it on who knows how many zoas and gsp...

Rosseau
11/19/2007, 12:44 AM
The glue should have "cyanoacrylate" listed as an ingredient.

I find the GEL glue helpful because it will not run and drip all over the place. I tried using non-gel once and had it run off of the rock and onto my frag (bad).

I've never cut up GSP, yet I have taken a small rock fragment with GSPs on it, and glued to the back of my tank. They seem happy there.

pashazero
11/19/2007, 12:48 AM
i dont think it would be possible to take the rock out.. it wont bond in the water? can i cut the individual polyps?

Toygrr
11/19/2007, 12:57 AM
i thought literally cutting off a polyp kills it, or are you really cutting the rock JUST beneath the polyp?

i was wondering the same thing, like if you want it on the glass for instance...

how would you do that without killing the little bugger?

Stirfry001
11/19/2007, 01:07 AM
Try and cut the "mat" portion of the polyp, or even better....scrape a little bit of the rock off with it. Super glue gel works great but as soon as it touches the water it will get a semi hard film. When you get it to where you want it just press and hold and it will harden super fast. I have seen where people also just lean a rock that has it growing against the glass and it will transfer over and continue to grow.

keith1569
11/19/2007, 01:09 AM
oh man that would be soo sweet to do!! im so gonna try that lol

Abso
11/19/2007, 03:08 AM
Can someone show a picture of star poly on back glass.

sir_dudeguy
11/19/2007, 12:47 PM
i thought literally cutting off a polyp kills it, or are you really cutting the rock JUST beneath the polyp?

Ha, you could put green stars in a blender and they'd be fine...you'd just have about a thousand little pieces :)

Cutting the actual polyp probably does kill that polyp, but i take scissors and cut my green star colony all the time...just cut the rubbery mat part of it. Who cares if you cut a few polyps along the way...not like they wont grow back :)