PDA

View Full Version : Rock From Display to Sump?

cabenin
11/18/2007, 02:35 PM
Later today I am thinking of taking a rock that has hair algae(only rock in tank with appreciable amount) out of the tank scrubbing it and putting in the fuge. The fuge has an 18 watt pc bulb but the light will not penetrate the algae. Am I going to have trouble with stuff on the rock dying off and fouling the water? If this works I may try to reduce the amount of live rock in the display by putting it in the fuge. My display is a 65 with a 100 gallon rubbermaid sump in the basement.

thank you.

sir_dudeguy
11/18/2007, 02:55 PM
Well if you've got any light over the rock (the fuge light) then the algae will still grow...

cabenin
11/18/2007, 03:06 PM
Will doing this have the same effect as "cooking" the rock which while in the active system would be a negative.

tinmanny
11/18/2007, 03:14 PM
why are you putting it in the fuge I am missing something
Manny

cabenin
11/18/2007, 03:23 PM
The Rock is unsightly, aesthetically I have too much rock in the display and due to the HA I do not want to put any frags on the rock with the HA (it is in a key spot for coral placement).

I was looking to put it in the fuge to keep the same level of biological filtration and to hopefully rehabilitate the rock for future use. The rock in the fuge could also provide habitat for the pods etc. Currently only have few pieces of rubble in the fuge.