PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep a Clam in Aquapod 12 with PC Light?

stagger19
11/17/2007, 07:04 PM
I have a 12 gal Aquapod with 2x27w Stock lighting.

Will a small clam survive under this lighting?

luv2reef
11/17/2007, 07:20 PM
i wouldn't recommend it, they require intense lighting.

MikePowell
11/17/2007, 07:30 PM
no

InLimbo87
11/17/2007, 07:34 PM
I'd have to agree. Not enough lighting...

stagger19
11/17/2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks Guys, I will have to stick to zoo's and M'rooms

kar93
11/18/2007, 09:02 AM
some people have said their clams thrive under PC lighting but i havent seen any one prove it

kar93
11/18/2007, 09:02 AM
some people have said their clams thrive under PC lighting but i havent seen any one prove it

gotbags-10
11/18/2007, 11:17 AM
i went to my lfs the other day and to my suprise i saw they had a clam in one of their 12g ap's with the same stock lighting. It was at the very top of the rockwork and the guy working said that it had been in there for 2 months with no prob. I dont see how but thats what he said.

pheromo
11/18/2007, 11:32 AM
how about a clam under 96 watt in ten gallon?

InLimbo87
11/18/2007, 11:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11207184#post11207184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pheromo
how about a clam under 96 watt in ten gallon?

No, clams need stronger light than any amount of PC's can provide IMO. Some have had them SURVIVE under PC's, but I don't think they will ever THRIVE.

jrkayakin
11/18/2007, 01:50 PM
I have had mine under stock aquapod lights for 3 months and it seems happy, i am gona upgrade to sunpod 70w mh soon, my lfs said as long as you have at least 4-4.5 watts per gallon it should be fine and so far so goodhttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z185/jrkayakin/DSC01915.jpg

NealNano
11/20/2007, 03:54 PM
I kept a maxima in a 6 gallon nano cube for 2 months while I resetup my old 55 gallon. The clam actually had problems when I moved it out of the nano. I think It was light shock. But I had no intentions of keeping it in the nano. I also feed it phyto feast weekly.

pnguye3
11/20/2007, 06:59 PM
Yea, it's possible... The key to doing it is making sure you're feeding lots of phytoplankton or other types of filter foods. Young clams don't have a large enough mantle to photosynthesize their own food. I would highly suggest target feeding a clam in any situation regardless, especially smaller specimens.

reefman13
11/20/2007, 07:11 PM
There is a difference between surviving and thriving, as well, as there is a difference between it being strongly advised against and being possible.....;)

chujai
11/20/2007, 07:37 PM
i heard different species of clams could do well, i think Derasa clams can handle lower lighting requirements but i could be wrong

ReefEze
11/20/2007, 08:13 PM
Clams need food, and they eat in one of two ways. Light, or phytoplankton.

One or the other may be enough, both is obviously best. You would have to choose the latter, which is what most of these people who say that their tank is thriving under PC lighting really mean even though they dont know it.

Illuminati
11/20/2007, 08:30 PM
Dersa Clams grow to be HUGE. I've seen one bigger than a football.

IMO, no clams under PC's!

fishieness
11/20/2007, 10:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11207122#post11207122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gotbags-10
i went to my lfs the other day and to my suprise i saw they had a clam in one of their 12g ap's with the same stock lighting. It was at the very top of the rockwork and the guy working said that it had been in there for 2 months with no prob. I dont see how but thats what he said.
it takes months for them to starve.

Savas
11/21/2007, 10:19 AM
I have had two croceas in my Aquapod 24 with pc lighting for over a year. They are doing well in my opinion - which means growing in size. I also feed my tank daily with a reef buffet I make - phytoplankton included. My croceas are both 6 inches from the lights.

Jovreefer
11/21/2007, 12:34 PM
Under stock lighting I would say no its not possible to keep a clam like that.

I do however believe its possible under prime water conditions, to keep one under PC's. I would highly reccomend agaist it for newbies & new to clams also.

I just posted this on the clam forum but here goes again.

I had my crocea in a 10 gallon under 96w PC lighting for over a year (a few of those months it was actually in a 2 gallon with 13W while the 10 stabilized)

I never fed the tank phyto, that would be asking for algea trouble on a tank that size. The clam is still with me about 4 years later & is doing great, I upgraded to a 20G 150W MH about 2 years ago.

I had an ex who also kept several clams in a larger tank lit by PC's including a black & white maxima (which I personally dont see all the fuss about, blue & blacks are MUCH more pretty) He had these clams for 3 years under PC's that I know of, who knows if he still has them under pc's or what though. But I think 3 years for maxima's is far long enough to discredit the statement that "oh they were slowly starving to death"

gsusfreak
11/21/2007, 01:09 PM
i've have a crocea clam that is still thriving after 8 months...i got a baby.. 2 inches at the time....i think its around 4-5 inches now...not sure if thats good growth or not, but i would say that ive been successful with mine......................however(!)...i dont recomment getting one for PCs for the mere fact that i hear that they wont survive...im one of the lucky few

starter101
11/21/2007, 02:03 PM
i have a 29 gallon biocube that i have turned into a full reef with the stock lighting...i have a maxima clam in their and it has been doing really well for over 3 months..knock on wood. I know that they need MH or T5 but to my surprise this clam is looking gorgeous. i have been feeding it phytofeast and phyto(something else)sorry forget what it is. I will post pics.

zma21
11/21/2007, 07:29 PM
Anything is possible in this hobby. But if you attempt it, don't be surprised if you fail.

cherubfish pair
11/22/2007, 10:16 PM
I've read clams under three inches rely on filter feeding much more so than clams bigger than that. It's agreed that the brighter the light, the better for the symbiotic algae.

What's more, clams can get too much flow. It will ruffle up their mantle keeping them from getting enough light.

TAF
11/26/2007, 03:52 PM
Er... I don't have that type of clam, but I have a ton of clams in my 12g nano and very poor lighting. They are thriving and even breeding!

I feed a large dose of phytoplankton every evening, and I think they must get all their food from that.

mr pink floyd
11/26/2007, 04:43 PM
Dont do it, clams take months to die of light deprivation. It will be a waste of money

Anything is possible in this hobby. But if you attempt it, don't be surprised if you fail.

thats horrible advice. its like saying, oh, go throw a dog off the roof of the building, its ok, but he might die.

I've read clams under three inches rely on filter feeding much more so than clams bigger than that. It's agreed that the brighter the light, the better for the symbiotic algae.

FALSE. clams at any size/age can survive solely by photosynthesis. All the phyto would do would be adding more phosphate and nitrate for them to use in their zoox algae. Also, clams can handle alot of flow. They are found up high in the rocks on reefs...big waves. I have 2 in my 29 SPS with over 55x turnover. Clams can handle the flow, its just as long as their mantles arent constantly being blown over to reduce photosynthesis. Mine gets flipped now and then but it doesnt stay like that.

mikellini
11/26/2007, 07:23 PM
+1. I have read studies that show even tiny clams live off of light only (if that's all they have). And, feeding in phyto baths is actually bad for them.

If you put the clam at the very top, about 1" from the water's surface, it still likely wouldn't be adequate in terms of lighting.