PDA

View Full Version : surface film

bigD87
11/16/2007, 03:26 AM
I have an aquapod 12 and the built in overflow isn't really doing much for me. Is there some kind of DIY mod I can do to fix this? And will the nanoskimmer from nanotuners.com work?

NanoReefWanabe
11/16/2007, 09:10 AM
does the aquapod's overflow draw in water from the bottom as well as the top?

if so epoxy a piece of acrylic or live rock over the slots in the bottom of the overflow..that will force all the water to go over the top ...which will agitate the surface more and remove the scum..

MSU Fan
11/16/2007, 11:51 AM
What I did was cut a piece of thin acrylic from HD to about 12" x 4" (or so, I can't remember the exact numbers). Then when the tank is running, I just put the acrylic in over all the slots. The bottom and middle set are covered and suction the acrylic in place. Then you can adjust the top of the acrylic like an overflow, which will adjust the level of water in the tank so you get the surface film into the back.

bigD87
11/16/2007, 03:51 PM
thanks, i think i will try this. could i just glue it to the backside of the overflow?

socalchris
11/16/2007, 03:58 PM
My nanocube knock-off has a very small hole below the surface skimmer grate thingy....I think I need to plug it with some sort of rubber grommet maybe? does yours have a little hole too?