PDA

View Full Version : fish list...

NanoReefWanabe
11/15/2007, 11:59 PM
just wondering if there is a list of fish out there for Nano's that covers invert and fish compatibility, with size, colour, diet, personality, and place in the water column (ie: open swimmer, burrower, sitter, etc...)

reason i ask is i am looking to add another fish to my tank...i want something colourful, playful, and something that likes to swim throughout the caves in the tank...

i was thinking a 6line but they are pretty common and though colourful and a rock dweller, i would like something a little brighter in colour..was also looking at a pink dottyback but have heard bad things about fish compatibility with them..

perhaps people here could start a list of fish they have with the above characteristics...and any other important info you have witnessed..

gsusfreak
11/16/2007, 12:14 AM
isnt there a compatibility list at liveaquaria?....i think they are pretty accurate

cherubfish pair
11/16/2007, 12:22 AM
Best two books I ever bought:

A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes, 500+ ESSENTIAL-TO-KNOW AQUARIUM SPECIES

A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates, 500+ ESSENTIAL-TO-KNOW AQUARIUM SPECIES

They are quick guides and I'm always looking up something in them.

Illuminati
11/16/2007, 12:40 AM
My suggestion is a Blue Bar Pseudochromis (Scott Michael calls them Blue Line Pseudochromis).

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/tank10021005-1.jpg

Had it in my 24g nanocube.

Most dottybacks/pseudochromis are semi aggressive but this guy was mellow and this is one of the more peaceful dottybacks available.

Kept it with a clown, blue assesor, gobies, firefish without a problem.

Spends all of it's time darting around the rockwork, the more complex the rock the more interesting to see him go.

It is a shrimp killer (mowed down 7 peppermints) and most dottybacks cannot be trusted around small shrimp. I think a large cleaner shrimp would hold it's own but blood shrimp and peppermints are snacks for this guy.

Another

adam82
11/16/2007, 08:39 AM
liveaquaria.com was a nano fish section and compatibility list.

NanoReefWanabe
11/16/2007, 09:06 AM
thankyou guys very much...

cherubfish pair
11/20/2007, 12:51 AM
Have you thought any more about another fish?

Why not a sixline? Too popular? They're popular for a good reason. They really stand out because there's nothing else colored/patterned like them, they settle in fast, they're very reef safe, and will readily eat flakes.

NanoReefWanabe
11/20/2007, 09:32 AM
yeah i got a juvi 6 line...

i put him in at night...

female clown knew something was up...

next morning everyone was playing nice...

i havent seen mine eat flake yet...though there is tons of pods for him to feast on right now anyway...

as for colour yeah i was looking for something a little brighter...

i had two orange fish already...LOL now i have three...but he is pretty and was only 10 bucks...

so maybe one more fish in a couple months..let the tank mature a little more yet..

might go:
royal gramma
pink Dotty Back...( i still really like the pinkish purple)
Manderan goby (i might convert to a HOB refuge that is gravity drained into the tank, no pumps to chop up pods)
Fire fish of some sort
or a lemon wrasse

sooo many choices soooo little space...:(

Blue/green chromis i think is coming out...he is flirting with the my female clown too much and the male is far smaller then him and is a great big Sally as well...plus the chromis is a schooling fish and there is noo room in my 20 for a school of chromis'