PDA

View Full Version : TheSaltwaterGuy's 10g Reef Diary

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/12/2007, 08:45 PM
Hi all! This is a diary of my new 10g reef tank. It will most likely have about 10-20 lbs of live rock, and about 20-25 lbs of live sand. I'll stock lightly, with about 2-3 small fish. It will be mostly a soft coral/LPS/zoanthid/mushroom reef. It will also be a sumpless/refugium-less reef.

It will run on only a Current Fission Nano Skimmer and an AquaClear 20 Power Filter and of course a few small powerheads.

The tank used to be a planted freshwater tank, but was cleaned out extremely thoroughly just a few hours ago.

Sorry, but I don't have many pics because my equipment has not arrived yet.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef002.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef001.jpg

Hope you enjoy! And I'll be sure to keep you updated!

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/12/2007, 08:46 PM
P.S. The tank is actually A LOT cleaner than it looks in these pics. I don't know why it looks dirty in them!

Mini Me6
11/12/2007, 08:57 PM
Are you going to MOD that tank??? Along with cleaning it of course:eek2: .

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/13/2007, 08:11 PM
If you would have read the previous post, you would know that it is actually very clean. I don't know why it looks so dirty.

Nope, the tank will stay as it is. Sumpless, fugeless, etc.

InLimbo87
11/13/2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a cool little setup. What are your plans for lighting?

I'd skip the nano-fission skimmer. When I got my NC12 used the guy threw one in. Only thing its been good for is an interesting paperweight ;)

scaryperson27
11/13/2007, 08:21 PM
The new rio nano skimmer/cartage filters have been alright. You might want to look into those.

jbob
11/13/2007, 08:42 PM
i have a rio nano skimmer. cant complain at all. a lil micro bubble problem but i prly dont have it set-up right.

pheromo
11/13/2007, 10:17 PM
i dont have any filtration on my ten ... its so healthy ... i just shoved chaeto behind the rockwork and its not even noticeable ... and that does alot ...

mahalamata
11/14/2007, 11:09 AM
is there a reason you have chosen the Fission Nano Skimmer?have you seen these ones?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TZ5311.html
apparently the are the bees knees!havent used one mysefl but have heard the best!
good luck with your setup keep us up to date and pics pics pics!
lol

clowder
11/14/2007, 02:22 PM
It will be a nice little project. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/14/2007, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11180542#post11180542 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mahalamata
is there a reason you have chosen the Fission Nano Skimmer?have you seen these ones?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TZ5311.html
apparently the are the bees knees!havent used one mysefl but have heard the best!
good luck with your setup keep us up to date and pics pics pics!
lol

The price is why! :lol: The Fission Nano probably won't be a permanent thing. I'll see how it performs, if I'm not impressed, I'll switch, but for now, the Fission it is!

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/14/2007, 03:41 PM
For lighting, I will use the Coralife AquaLight PC w/ 1x28W 50/50 lamp. Again, like the skimmer, this is only temporary. I'll soon be getting the Orbit PC 2x40W fixture by Current. This should be able to keep a large variety of soft/LPS corals, along with zoanthids and mushrooms.

scaryperson27
11/14/2007, 11:39 PM
Dude, just get a nice skimmer the first time around. You're probably not going to be happy with the performance of the fission. A lot of people try to cheap out the first couple of times when it comes to skimmers. This is a rich mans hobby...

If you are going to sacrifice the health of a tank with 500+ dollars of occupants, save a couple bucks off hand, then i suggest you not go into this hobby. This hobby will usually explode in your face if you don't do it right the first time.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/15/2007, 05:20 PM
scaryperson27: Look pal, I've got a good year of experience in this hobby. You don't have to be a d*** to me, I know what I'm doing. You're probably right, I should have bought a good skimmer first time around, but I didn't because my friend has a Fission and he loves it. I've seen it perform, its not as bad as you say it is. So, just back off and let me do things the way I want, K?

Aside from that, the tank is up and running. Everything arrived today except for the lighting. I was so stupid, because after I filled it up with water, put LR in, put LS in, etc. I realized that I forgot to take pictures of the actual equipment...Silly me:rolleyes:

I plan to stock with fish sometime next week if water parameters are right.

Anyways, here's a FTS for now. It might not be the most beautiful thing right now, but, I'm getting there. :lol:

Enjoy.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef.jpg

puckbs
11/15/2007, 11:30 PM
Although scaryperson may not have worded things the best way and you may have also misread what he was saying...there is some very good advice in there, whether it applies to you or not.

nobody wants to spend more money than they have to. and sometimes we compromise on equipment. in my case, if i had just sucked it up and spent the extra money in the first place, i would have the setup i wanted/needed....AND more money in my pocket....cause somehow, you always wind up with the equipment you REALLY wanted in the first place.

and why risk the hundreds of dollars in LIVEstock against the extra few bucks on equipment???

i don't know anything about the skimmers you guys are talking about so i'm not referring to them...just stuff in general

coraline97
11/16/2007, 01:45 PM
Rio Nano Skimmer is a great skimmer for your tank. I have had one up for 2 months. it is only 30-40 bucks. You don't have to take a chance on a cheap product, because this cheap product works!

Rosseau
11/16/2007, 02:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11195672#post11195672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coraline97
Rio Nano Skimmer is a great skimmer for your tank. I have had one up for 2 months. it is only 30-40 bucks. You don't have to take a chance on a cheap product, because this cheap product works!

I have one laying around that I didn't buy... maybe I'll start 'er up. I've heard some good things.

SaltwaterGuy, I hope the fission works for you. I've only read about a few cases of people being happy. Though, if you can be happy with it, that is great. It would be a steal!

PJsStuff
11/16/2007, 03:22 PM
That fission skimmer is junk IMO.

coraline97
11/16/2007, 04:45 PM
I have a fission as well, it makes a good paperweight as mentioned above. I did take the pump off of it and make it a powerhead though.

--I do have to say that I am very interested in seeing yours work. I couldn't get mine to do anything, and if it did, it just filled up with water or spray microbubbles. I have heard that you can get them working but they desire a good amount of attention to water level. This is due to the quarter inch of variation it gives.

Good Luck, and post picks!!!!!

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/16/2007, 04:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11192598#post11192598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by puckbs
Although scaryperson may not have worded things the best way and you may have also misread what he was saying...there is some very good advice in there, whether it applies to you or not.

nobody wants to spend more money than they have to. and sometimes we compromise on equipment. in my case, if i had just sucked it up and spent the extra money in the first place, i would have the setup i wanted/needed....AND more money in my pocket....cause somehow, you always wind up with the equipment you REALLY wanted in the first place.

and why risk the hundreds of dollars in LIVEstock against the extra few bucks on equipment???

i don't know anything about the skimmers you guys are talking about so i'm not referring to them...just stuff in general

Yes, there was a lot of useful information in his statement. Although, him insulting me saying that I need to get out of this hobby? THAT, was uncalled for.

scaryperson27: Let's just put this behind us, because I know you didn't mean to word it the way you did. Sorry I got mad.

BTW, my LFS will probably buy my old equipment from me.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/17/2007, 08:35 PM
I plan on going to my LFS tomorrow, maybe they'll have a nice "nano fish" of some kind. They have a reputation of getting in fairly large, or even show size specimens.

BTW, I also placed an old hood on the tank that I found in my basement yesterday. Cleaned it up real nice and actually looks pretty good for a temporary solution.

I'll be sure to post pics!

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/18/2007, 10:15 AM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef007.jpg

Temporary light fixture. Puts out 50W of orange lighting. :lol:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef008.jpg

Top-down shot:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef009.jpg

Eklikewhoa
11/18/2007, 10:44 AM
Did you plan on cycling the tank and letting it stabilize before adding livestock?

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/18/2007, 11:45 AM
Yes, water parameters have already stabilized. I plan on adding a small fish of some sort to help the tank with its cycling process.

TomZogas
11/18/2007, 07:38 PM
I received a fission nano skimmer as a gift, and it mostly just pulled out a brown watery substance. The real problem i ran into was running out of the little circular filter pads. They collect detritus like crazy, and are very hard to clean. That little pump is a great power head for a nano though.

have you thought about turning your aquaclear into a refugium? Very easy, with good results.

reefman13
11/18/2007, 08:20 PM
What fish do you plan on?

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/18/2007, 08:22 PM
Not a bad idea. Can you let me know of some tips of doing so? Do I just add LR Rubble to the open space where the filter media goes?

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/18/2007, 08:28 PM
So far, I've planned on an Ocellaris Clown, a Tailspot Blenny and some sort of small goby. I bought the Ocellaris today, he's a tiny little fellow, about 1-1/2". I also got a small Peppermint Shrimp. They both seem to be doing great. The two of them are already eating. Here are some (terrible) pics.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef012.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef014.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef013.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/Reef_Aquarist13/10gReef015.jpg

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/18/2007, 08:29 PM
I'm getting a new camera for Christmas. I promise, there will be better pictures coming from me, then. :lol:

reefman13
11/18/2007, 08:33 PM
I'm getting a new camera for Christmas. I promise, there will be better pictures coming from me, then.

lmao!

The one other thing I would ask for, is an AquaClear 50 or 70. It looks like you have either the 20 or 30 gallon model, and honestly, I have the 70, running filter floss and carbon on my NC12 w/ 150W MH. And since adding it everything is SO much happier!

Any other ideas for stocking? (another clown?) (other inverts?)
What lighting have you ordered? (any ideas for the corals you want to keep?)

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/18/2007, 08:38 PM
I might add another Clown, depends on whether or not I do upgrade the filtration. There will be plenty more inverts in the tank. All I have now is the Shrimp, about 10-12 Hermits, and 5 Astera Snails. The lighting is a 20" 2x40W Satellite PC Fixture by Current USA. I hope to keep a variety of Soft Coral/LPS/Zoas/Shrooms.

stevelkaneval
11/18/2007, 09:54 PM
you should post a couple of pics of your shark tank i would love to see it

TomZogas
11/18/2007, 10:02 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=601201&perpage=25&highlight=how%20to%20DIY%20an&pagenumber=1

I would also like to see pictures of the shark tank.

Mini Me6
11/18/2007, 10:15 PM
I was just joking about cleaning the tank. I did read your post. I just have one or two questions on your setup.

1) Are you planning on doing any surface skimming??

2) Do you have plans on controlling nitrates once your tank is established?? I didn't see an means of an overflow and from the pics you're showing it looks like you have a sponge filter media in your overhang. Hopefully you plan to change/clean the sponge regularly.

Your tank looks good.

zma21
11/18/2007, 11:09 PM
My only advice: Take other people's words that know a lot more about this hobby than you do to heart rather than flaming out at them.

High school students always know everything, and i'm assured that will never change. ;)

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 03:45 PM
Would you like to see the 75g? Or the pond? The pond isn't finished yet. We'll start building it sometime in the next few weeks I imagine.

Mini Me6: Soon, I plan on buying the new Subcurrent " overflow box for Nano aquariums. Anyone heard good things about this product?

Also, I do plan on changing/cleaning the sponge filter media that I have in my AquaClear. When the filter was bought, I also purchased 4 packs of replacement sponges. :D

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 03:47 PM
Also, my Fission is really pi$$ing me off. All its doing is filling up with a brown liquidy substance....:mad2:

I really should have listened to you guys, but by the time I started this thread, the skimmer was already purchased. I'll probably just end up using it as a powerhead and getting that new Tunze skimmer.

reefman13
11/19/2007, 04:07 PM
I would also look into a Euro-Reef nano-skimmer....

Agu
11/19/2007, 04:11 PM
Rock and water on the 15th, "stabilized" by the 18th, and livestock put in on the 19th.

BTW, if you plan on a pair of clowns it's best to add them at the same time. Usually that's after the cycle, not "I plan on adding a small fish of some sort to help the tank with its cycling process."

Good Luck, you may need it ......................... :hmm2:

zma21
11/19/2007, 04:16 PM
I agree Agu. But hey, he said he know's what he's doing, so maybe what you and i do are wrong, and what he does is right? Haha!

reefman13
11/19/2007, 04:22 PM
I had a tank cycle in three days, but the tank had been fully setup at a friends house for about 2 months.....

It will be interesting to see where this goes....

puckbs
11/19/2007, 04:56 PM
just keep a lot of fresh salt water on hand, keep testing, and you should be ok. 10g is a bit small for a pair of clowns. rainford gobies, clown gobies, shrimp gobies, and mayyybe a firefish would be good choices. I have a pair of clowns in my 20 and i kinda feel bad.

and i know you said that light was temporary...but it will very likely add heat and cause some algae growth too

definitely look into that ac 70 mod, i've never done it, but i put a 'fuge on every thing i can to help out, and that looks like a good little setup

as for the skimmer, a "brown liquidy substance" is a good start. Skimmate is usually referred to as 'wet or dry'. yours would likely be considered wet, from your description. you can usually fine tune them to whichever you prefer.

For the rest of you, trust me, its been hard for me to not jump on this guy too, but just keep giving constructive criticism and hopefully we'll be able to do some good

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks, puckbs. I don't know if I've told you guys or not yet, but this is my first reef tank. My other is a temporary shark tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11215395#post11215395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
I agree Agu. But hey, he said he know's what he's doing, so maybe what you and i do are wrong, and what he does is right? Haha!

I'm not a complete ******* when it comes to reef tanks, but you are really ****ing me off zma21. Just because you think you know everything about reefs and I don't, doesn't mean you should be sarcastic like that. You're probably right, I'm not doing this tank the way you did yours, it doesn't mean I'm doing it particularly wrong, does it? You should keep those types of comments to yourself.

I thank all of you who are actually giving me advice, not being a$$holes, I really appreciate it.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 05:23 PM
Excuse my language also, I got a little carried away. :p

zma21
11/19/2007, 05:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11215906#post11215906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheSaltwaterGuy
Thanks, puckbs. I don't know if I've told you guys or not yet, but this is my first reef tank. My other is a temporary shark tank.

I'm not a complete ******* when it comes to reef tanks, but you are really ****ing me off zma21. Just because you think you know everything about reefs and I don't, doesn't mean you should be sarcastic like that. You're probably right, I'm not doing this tank the way you did yours, it doesn't mean I'm doing it particularly wrong, does it? You should keep those types of comments to yourself.

I thank all of you who are actually giving me advice, not being a$$holes, I really appreciate it.

Speaking of keeping comments to yourself....nice post.

Grow up, and learn to take some critisizm. Life will be that much easier. On that note, i'm going to leave the kiddie alone so he can experience trial and error on his tank. Cheers! :rollface:

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 05:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11215327#post11215327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13
I would also look into a Euro-Reef nano-skimmer....

Can you give me a link? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

PJsStuff
11/19/2007, 05:39 PM
I think the cycling crap is a bunch of BS. iv never cyled a tank and have never had a problem. When i set up my 75gal i just dumped all my fish and corals in there and everything was fine. when i started my first nano cube reef i added the water sand rock and fish all the same day. bought it all the same day too. Same with my new setup im working on. Didn't cycle a thing and haven't had any problems. Have some alge but no big deal.

TomZogas
11/19/2007, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11216041#post11216041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PJsStuff
I think the cycling crap is a bunch of BS. iv never cyled a tank and have never had a problem. When i set up my 75gal i just dumped all my fish and corals in there and everything was fine. when i started my first nano cube reef i added the water sand rock and fish all the same day. bought it all the same day too. Same with my new setup im working on. Didn't cycle a thing and haven't had any problems. Have some alge but no big deal.

Just because it worked for you does not mean it will work for other people. I think that if there is one thing everyone agrees on, it is that the nitrogen cycle is not a bunch of BS.

puckbs
11/19/2007, 08:03 PM
lol..i hope its not a bunch of bs....its a couple day lesson plan for me! ha ha ha.... the tank cycles, unless you have near perfect conditions.

Chad, you need to relax a little too buddy, or you aren't going to get much help. there are a bunch of things that might not make sense now but will later, and may not be all that apparent now but will be later.

i'd love to get an updated version of exactly what you would like this tank to be..and then i will try to help you the best i can.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 09:34 PM
Moderators, please close this thread. Its caused nothing but chaos.

Charger21_SD
11/19/2007, 09:46 PM
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 09:50 PM
LOL, nice song there, Mike.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/19/2007, 09:51 PM
I feel the same way.

Funny thing is, I offered to put this whole thing behind us.

puckbs
11/19/2007, 10:07 PM
sounds good.
so how bout relisting exactly what you want for this tank, and we'll go from there!

Agu
11/19/2007, 10:26 PM
<i><br>Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please let’s work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.</i>

Since I posted to this thread I tried to stay out of moderating it. Censored profanity has no place on RC, I trust it won't happen again.

Closed at thread starters request.